Chapter Thirteen

After about thirty minutes, the tension had settled completely between the four women. Everyone but Azabela's grandmother was walking alongside the slow wagon. Sorella Havers had decided it was best for her feeble bones if she sat inside the carriage, and Iris certainly didn't argue. None of them wanted to share in the woman's presence at the time.

"So," Iris was the first to talk. "How long have you and Hench known each other? Outside of guardian business, that is," She spoke to Azabela casually, but Iris said it in a sort of jab at her mentor --a way to let Hench know that she had caught her in her lie. Because surely the two were acquainted outside of the annual wagon-guarding. The mighty woman said nothing right away, but gave Iris a glare that sent frost right into her bones.

"I'm sorry," Azabela sputtered, a sudden hint of intense amusement present on her face. "What did you just call her?"

Iris was confused. "Hench. That's what she goes by."

Azabela's next laugh was jovial and gut-wrenching at the same time. Iris was still puzzled, and Hench only shut her eyes and took a deep breath in. Azabela saw the guardian's expression and began to laugh even harder. "Hench." The word danced playfully on the archer's lips. "Did you give yourself that name, Rhalla?"

"I did not," Hench said. "It was what was assigned to me after I completed my guardian training."

"You never told me?" Azabela stifled the laughter.

"But of course, girl," Hench said, casting eyes over to Iris. "It is only customary. Guardian names are only generally used by guardians in the sanctuary. I didn't think it important. But yes, they do call me Hench."

Azabela cocked her head to the side, grinning like she had more than a little to say. But, after a minute, she sobered and only nodded. "Hench suits you."

"Do you know her, Azabela?" Iris asked. "Outside of these missions?"

The archer looked at Hench once, and the both of them shared a look of understanding --a look of agreement. Then, Azabela replied, "I do not. She was the first guardian ever to help with our shipment. We've always requested her since and she's ever been kind enough to accept." Iris narrowed her eyes at the both of them. She still believed Hench was lying to her... and had successfully brought Azabela into the ruse. Iris couldn't understand why it mattered so damn much where Hench met the girl.

The rogue only shook her head as they continued on.

The rest of the day was a fairly quiet one. Hench and Azabela were polite, but the apparent closeness of the two had halted the moment Iris had pried. All day, Hench was giving Iris the "stink-eye", if ever there was a such thing. The wagon moved slowly down the path and it took all Iris had to not run off somewhere.

By the time they made camp that night, Iris's feet were sore from the constant prodding of her ground beneath them. All the women were peaceful as they minded themselves. Sorella was quietly warming her hands and Hench was busy setting up tents. Iris kneeled on her bedroll, absentmindedly sharpening her weapons while Azabela seemed to be surveying the area. The archer paced around for a few minutes and then stopped at Iris's side.

The rogue felt a rough pat on her back. "Feeling bored?" came Azabela's question, accompanied by a sly smile. Iris didn't even get the chance to answer before the archer spoke again. "I can see it in your face. Come now, get to your feet."

Everyone at camp stared at the two girls now. Iris shook her head in surprise. "What?"

"You heard me, legend girl," Azabela quipped. "Stand up. I hear you're sneaky enough. You're coming with me."