Chapter Twenty Two

A/N -- Lo and behold, another doodle in the Guardian series! My rendition of Kayde! Hope you guys enjoy it and the chapter!

It was early in the morning when Kayde Vorantis received three consecutive knocks on his door. It was the last day before he'd have to go meet with the general, so he'd tried to sleep a little late. Tried. With one eye, he saw that it had just dawned outside. Before Kayde could even think about getting out of bed, the knocks came again --this time more rapidly than the last. He grumbled as he pulled himself out of bed and threw on some trousers. "One second."

Quickly, he ran his fingers through his long locks, doing his best to tame their wild appearance before throwing it up into a haphazard topknot.

He was on the way to find something to pull over his bare chest when the knocks came loudly again at his door --prodding him to hurry. He sighed, foregoing the robe for the time being and opening the door instead.

On the other side stood Iris, who took in his appearance for a good minute before speaking. "Since when do you sleep in?"

She wasn't used to seeing him not put together.

"Since today," Kayde said, moving a loose strand out of his eyes. "Or so I thought, at least. I thought you were training with Hench until lunch. You're not skipping out on her, are you?" he asked, doubting that Iris would disobey her mentor. Iris only shook her head at him and stepped past him.

"No," she finally said, shutting the door behind him. "She's got to make preparations for her --both of your-- mission tomorrow, so she gave me the day off to do whatever I wanted."

"That being running over and waking me up at dawn," Kayde asked, raising a brow.

Iris only grinned. "Are you aware of how many times you've woken me up before I was ready to be up? I think it's high time I exact what is due." She gave him another once over. "You should probably get dressed and comb through your hair. You look nappy, Kayde." In truth, she didn't mind this Kayde. It made him look incredibly... well, human. It reminded her that even perfectly hewn people could be unrefined at times --and for a single, clarifying moment, Iris realized that under different circumstances, she might have woken up this natural Kayde in the mornings instead.

She shook the thought and Kayde whisked over to his drawers and pulled a fresh set of robes from one of them. Nothing was said as he disappeared into his bathing room.

Iris waited --for a good half hour, Kayde was washing and preparing for the day. The moments passed fast, as the rogue was lost in her thoughts. Before she knew it, the guardian fluttered right out of his washroom in customary garb, pulling a toothed comb through his wet hair.

"You are still here. I did not expect that." Kayde observed. "Is there something you needed or wanted to talk to me about?"

"Yes, actually."