Chapter Forty One

A/N -- Chances are this book is actually going to be LONGER than Fearless (now that I've done a bit more outlining!). We're talking probably 65-70 chapters of content to get done what all I need to get done. Anyhow, without further ado!

Zayn was in Eda again after a few days. It would have been sooner but he'd had to make some reports elsewhere after they'd saved Azabela. The general chewed on the inside of his cheek. Renna was setting the table for dinner for three, and all he could do was stare forward. He didn't know what to say or how to say it. Cricket had died... that's what Iris had told the general. That's what Iris's mentor had told Iris, and Hench would know better than anyone what had happened to the girl. All except for maybe one person.

"Who are you inviting to eat with us tonight?" Renna asked as she started moving the cooked food onto the table.

Zayn's stupor broke. "Her name is Elizabeth Or'vail," he told her. "You met her on one of the days you visited my office, if you remember. She was the one who knew your missing niece. I have to question her."

"About?" Renna looked intrigued.

"About something I heard," Zayn answered vaguely. "Something isn't adding up."

Renna opened her mouth to ask another question, but was interrupted by a knock on the door. Zayn got up to answer it. When he opened it, he was face to face with the girl who had been Cricket's friend. Right on time. He stepped aside for her to move in. A waft of rose petals were left in her wake, and she walked gracefully across the kitchen floor. She carried herself just like a princess would.

"Hello again, general," she greeted him with a smile made of pearls and dimples.

"Hello, Elizabeth," he replied. "Dinner is ready. Why don't you have a seat and make yourself at home?"

She nodded curtly and was the first to have a seat at the table. Zayn served the food and let Renna sit down herself. They were all at the table, staring awkwardly and quietly at one another. Despite the silence, they didn't talk right away. First, they ate the soup and bread that Renna had made. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their meal, and Zayn made sure to thank Renna for cooking it. Elizabeth followed suit and showed gratitude as well.

Once they had settled into the dinner, Elizabeth finally asked, "So. I assume you wanted to speak with me about something. Why did you want me to have dinner with the both of you?" she asked. "Is it about Cricket?"

"It is," Zayn answered. He cleared his throat and gave Renna an apologetic look before finally saying. "Something isn't right. By your account, Cricket got free of the baron's estate. But I just met with the other woman I'm collaborating with to end this nightmare with the baron, who's claiming that Cricket died there instead." Renna's gasp at those words were audible, and Zayn hated that she had to find out this way.

Elizabeth twitched. "She's dead?" she asked after a moment. "Forgive me, general, but if that's the case, I had no idea. I only know that the last time I saw her, she was running away. I know that I never saw her again after that --no one ever saw her again after that. I assumed the best. But the baron never told us that he killed her."

"He didn't?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "No." She went on. "He didn't."

"Why would he have told you?"

"Not just me --all of us. He might have told us because he wanted to keep us in line," she answered quickly. "If he had killed her, he would have showed us her corpse. Maybe he would have hung it up in our bedchambers. But even that doesn't seem right. The night Cricket and Sunny both ran, they brought Sunny back. He made an example of Sunny," she cringed. "He tortured her in front of all of us... showed us what would happen if anyone ever tried running again. But he let her live. He kept using her to make money. It seems like he would have done the same for Cricket."