Chapter Fourteen

It was dawn. The sky was heavily overcast, and small droplets of rain fell over the four women in a lazy shower. It seemed to only bother Sorella, who excused herself back into the wagon immediately upon feeling the first hint of wetness. As far as the other three were concerned, they all stayed to feel the cool release.

Azabela moved a bit ahead of Iris and Hench on the road, watching for signs of other travelers. So far, there had been none. Both the guardian and her trainee fell in pace behind. Hench had not said a single word to Iris today, or to anyone else in fact. The powerful woman held stoic silence, keeping a keen eye on her surroundings.

Everyone found peace in the morning. The early birds provided song as the wagon moved ever forward.

Finally, a voice broke the silence. Hench spoke to her trainee, the sound of her words barely above a whisper. "It's been a month today, girl. How do you feel?"

Iris smiled, her eyes drawing in the serenity of her surroundings. Her heart knew no sadness and no regret that morning. She was where she was meant to be. Her answer was a quiet word. "Alive."

For a moment, Hench stared at Iris, surveying her. The stillness and tranquility in the girl's soul could not be mistaken. It relaxed the guardian. When the rogue had first come under her tutelage, all that lingered in her eyes were hints of sorrow and desperation. Now there was hope. Hench found the girl reminiscent of herself --of how the guardians saved her life and her soul so many years hence.

Not wanting to disturb the moment Iris was obviously having, the woman simply turned and continued walking forward while smiling a little to herself.

Time surely healed all wounds.

----

The festival was full of joy. Everyone forgot their worldly worries as they all swayed to the music. Cricket was beside her Aunt Renna, eating a sugared pear and watching her parents dance to the slow tune of the song. The night was young... but growing older. The girl never wanted it to end. How she loved festivals.

Renna played with the baby girl in her arms, but still was keenly aware of Cricket's growing grin. The girl's aunt stared hard at the young girl. How beautiful Cricket was. Lustrous black hair flowed down her back, as long as the Seperian River. The child's brown eyes were soulful and innocent. Her lips were the velvet petal of a dusk rose.

Renna held in a chuckle. How funny it was that Cricket wanted to be a swordswoman. Of course, her aunt wasn't going to argue that point. Soon enough she'd have to be beating away the suitors that would certainly pour at their doorstep. Overcome by pride, Renna shifted Iris to one arm and wrapped the free arm around her other niece.

The best part: her heart was even more beautiful than the rest of her.

"You having fun, sweet girl?" Renna asked.

Cricket smiled and nodded. "Yep! Thanks for taking care of Iris and for the pear too." Renna nodded with a smile of her own. Cricket now finished the last bite of her sweet and took a minute to look at her tiny sister. "Do you think she knows who I am?"

"Maybe," Renna chuckled. "She's still a baby, after all. But I'm sure she recognizes you as kindred... as familiar. As comforting."

Cricket sniffed. "So she doesn't know who I am."

"I don't think she knows exactly," Renna answered, "But worry not... one day, she'll know who you are, little Cricket."

The conversation ended at that. The girl turned her eyes back to her parents, who were still holding close to the other. She wanted to dance too, but they had instructed her to stay with her aunt. In fact, she wanted to dance with Arthur. She had watched him in the market square for several weeks now and she had already decided that one day she would marry him, even if he was shy. All she had to do was talk to him first.