Chapter Seventy Two

A/N -- Brilliant song, yo. Want the FULL EFFECT of the chapter? Give it a listen either before or as you read it. Wrote the chapter to it.

Dane's world was red, and he was working as fast as he could. Getting through the estate wasn't easy. Unfortunately, the prisons hadn't been completely empty. There had been two more guards assigned... one of which who had busted Dane's bottom lip with a sword pommel. It bled in a line down his face, and throbbed like mad. Dane was only grateful that he still had all of his teeth... and his life, for that matter.

He didn't look like a hero. He wasn't wearing shining armor and riding through the estate on a white horse. No. His hair was matted with liquid red, and his whole body was painted in the same. His clothes were torn, and he sported superficial cuts in various locations. Elliot clung to Dane's large shoulders, going about as fast as he could. Even the old man was tainted by blood from holding onto his grandson. Irila was better than the both of them, though her hair was falling free of its twisted plaits by now.

They moved through the halls, trying like hell to find an exit. The place was so large. Dane hardly dared open any doors he wasn't sure of. Every so often, he'd listen in to see if he heard noise. They were going along as well as they could when they found a series of three doors on the left side of the hall. Dane heard sound in one of them. He came to a sudden stop, and he threw up a hand to stop Irila from running.

Thankfully, all the doors were shut. Whoever was inside seemed to be unaware of the three escapees.

Dane was about to take a stealth approach, sneak past the doors, and carry on. And then, he heard the commotion more clearly within.

"There's the little bitch," came a gruff voice from the other side. "You thought you was sneakin' out 'cause everyone's busy." Shuffling. "No one likes a runaway." Thwap! And impact could be heard. Glass fell. A tiny scream sounded within the room. And then, there was crying.

Dane had no idea who was in that room -didn't even know how many men were in that room. It truly didn't matter. Dane gripped his sword tighter, turning his knuckles white under the blood. With haste, he settled Elliot into a standing position. "I have to go in," he told them. Irila looked afraid.

"But... the guards."

"I..." he couldn't think of a quick explanation. All he could think about was he had to get in there... now. "I have to do this. Call if you see anyone."

Dane busted in the door with a swift kick. In the room, there was thankfully only one guard. One guard that towered over two little girls. The first he saw couldn't have been older than four or five, whimpering in the corner. The second looked to be thirteen -give or take. She was only slightly younger than him. Like his, her lip was busted and there was a large, inflamed handprint on her cheek. Her eyes were cold as steel, and she was quiet. She stood between the large man and the child. All in the room turned to him at once. Dane's fury was blazing, and he went in full strength.

Their fight was a short one... and it was a mess. Dane took advantage of the surprise. He slammed into the abuser, knocking him away from the girls up into the wall. What sick bastard would hit a child? Dane pummeled him about six times in the nose with his fist before he even remembered he had a sword.

The first stab went none-too-gracefully into the man's nether regions. That was for my mother. The second right into his throat to keep his screaming brief. Dane wasn't too honorable to wish the death had been slower.