Chapter One

Thorne's voice came through the speaker as his face filled the computer screen.

"Happy Birthday, Cress." he said, giving her a sweet smile.

Cress grinned at him, trying to hold her emotions inside her.

"Thorne!" She squealed, hoping she didn't sound worried. She should be happy. Cress hasn't talked to Carswell in over a week. "How is the mission going? "

Captain Carswell Thorne was requested by Cinder to help the wild mutants that Levena created return to a normal life. After two years of living on Luna in separate domes, they were ready to reenter society. But Cinder wanted to make sure that everybody was safe, so she asked Wolf and Thorne to help. And they have been. For weeks. And weeks. And weeks.

Thorne waved a hand at Cress's comment. "Who cares?" He said, "I want to talk about you! How does it feel to be 18? Finally of age, now you're officially an adult like me." He gives her a look that makes Cress blush.

Cress scratched the back of her neck. "No different. I-" She stopped. I miss you. I love you. I want you to come home now. Right now. I can't keep going on living without you.

"You what?" Thorne asked with a grin on his face.

Cress laughed. "I'm just relaxing today. Maybe I'll go down to the beach later."

For the time being, Cress was staying in the states near the Atlantic. Thorne rented a small apartment for her until he came back. If he ever came back.

Cress heard a crash and laughter from Thorne's side of the screen. She tried to see but he blocked her way, turning around in his chair, all she could see was his dirty blond hair.

"Thorne?" Cress said.

"Yeah, baby? Hold on." was his response.

Cress waited impatiently. She barely got to see him without any interruptions. There was always somebody who needed him.Thorne returned to the screen with a concerned look on his face.

"I'm sorry, Cress, but I need to go." He said hurriedly.

"Oh-" Cress started. "But-"

"Happy Birthday. I love you." Thorne rushed and disconnected the link.

Yeah, Cress thought, Happy birthday to me.

♣♦♠♥

Thorne ran down the hallway and into Cinder's room.

"Cinder!" He said out of breath. "One of the wolf dudes just attacked a different wolf guy and one of them got knocked out."

"What!" Cinder shrieked, jumping out of her chair. This was the last thing she needed... more trouble.

"Don't worry. Wolf got the other guy and they are waiting for us."

Cinder let out a frustrated sound before following Thorne out the door.

"Why can't you learn their names Thorne?" Cinder asked as they were walking. "It helps them feel more like people. They are actual people. "

Thorne knew by now when Cinder actually wanted an answer and now was not it.

"What else can I do?" she sighed.

Thorne didn't know if she was talking to him or herself so he remained silent. It was hard.

"This is the last problem I have to deal with before I can leave." Cinder continued. "The shells are fine. The device is up and working. The living conditions are a lot better. The cure was distributed a long time ago. So why can't the- wolf men- live in peace! "

Cinder stopped and took a deep breath. Thorne noticed that she did that a lot. He might have tried to help, but he was at loss for new ideas too.

"How's Cress?" Cinder asked, once she recovered from her episode.

Thorne hesitated. "She's fine." He said coldly.

Cinder looked up at him with a glare on her face. "What did you do to her?"

Thorne guarded face broke. He ran a hand over his face. "Nothing! I don't know." Thorne said finally. "...but I can tell something is bothering her. "

They continued their walk in silence, neither one wanting to discuss their problems any longer... especially without a solution in sight.

♣♦♠♥

Cress wandered the beach until after nightfall. She looked up at Luna, finally being able to without cringing, and wondered if Thorne was looking at Earth. She kicked the sand and threw a handful of shells that she had collected. Why does she feel this way? She had been alone for so long in that satellite, why is it so hard now?

"Stars, I need to get out of here." She whispered to herself. She paused, and then she ran back to her apartment.

"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up." Cress repeated into the phone as it rang.

"Hello?" the voice came across the line.

"Scarlet!" Cress squealed, honestly happy this time.

"Oh Cress! Hey!" Scarlet's voice was loud, even halfway across the world. "How are you?"

Cress was sitted on the end of her chair, too excited to calm down. "Lonely." She said without a trace of sadness for once . "What about you? Keeping busy on the farm?"

"Oh yeah." Scarlet drew out the words. I miss Ze'ev." She said quietly.

Cress bit her lip but ended up blurring out, "Did he tell you when they were coming back?"

Nothing.

Silence louder than Cress had ever heard before. Only quiet crackles provided by the long distance echoed in her ear.

"Scarlet?" Cress squeaked out. "Is it alright if I come stay with you until they get back?"

Cress heard a sharp intake of air and she braced herself for utter disappointment.

"Oh my God, please? I thought you would never ask!" Scarlet exclaimed.

Cress let out the breath she was holding. She couldn't handle being alone so much. She needed to be with someone she really knew. And if that wasn't Thorne, then so be it.

She tried not to cry over that fact.

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for reading! I am just newly editing this story looong after I first wrote it, so some changes are being made. I firstly just want to say just... no rude comments. I mean come on people. If you don't like it you aren't forced to read it. Any changes I made from the original draft I wrote were because I wanted to change them, not because anyone told me they didn't like it. Thanks for sticking with me! Love ya!