Chapter Eight

Cress was dying.

At least, that's how she felt.

Thorne had been gone only a couple minutes but it felt like eternity. Cress held onto the edge of the bed and took deep breaths.

"I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this." She said over and over again.

Where the heck was Thorne!?

Cress laid on her back and squeezed her eyes shut as her stomach tightened again.

When will this be over?

♣♦♠♥

Thorne sprinted down the hallway to find the doctor. He almost broke the door to the medic ward on the way in.

"I need the doctor!" Thorne yelled when he arrived.

The receptionist tilted her head. "I'm sorry, the doctor is away at the moment. He won't be back till tomorrow."

Thorne marched up to the desk and slammed his hand down on top. "What! My wife is having a baby!"

Then, before she could answer him, Thorne took off running again... This time to find Scarlet.

♣♦♠♥

Cress was happily surprised when Scarlet and Thorne barged into her bedroom.

"Hi honey." Scarlet said, a little too enthusiastically. "The doctor is unavailable right now, so it's just going to be you and me." She smiled largely.

Cress frowned. "What-Why- doyouknowhowtodothisScarlet?" Cress said really fast during a contraction.

But Scarlet was not fazed by it. "I've never helped birth an actual baby, but I've done it plenty of times with all different sorts of animals on the farm. You'll be fine. I promise."

Cress nodded and Thorne slowly backed out of the room.

"Nu-uh! You get back here. I'm going to need your help." Scarlet scolded him. "I need hot water and plenty of towels. Go!"

With Thorne gone, Scarlet was able to check out Cress. "Okay, Cress. Looks like this is going to be soon. I'll kick Thorne out when the time comes, but for now I need you to relax."

Cress nodded and then gasped as another contraction came.

This was going to be a long night.

♣♦♠♥

"Okay, Cress. It's time to push." Scarlet said an hour later. "Thorne, I need you to leave now."

With those words, Thorne kissed his wife on the head and quickly left the room. "Bye, love."

Scarlet turned back toward Cress and told her to push at the next contraction.

Cress nodded again, but said, "I'm scared, Scarlet."

Scarlet smiled and held her hand. "You're about to meet your baby, Cress. Be excited."

Then she had to push.

♣♦♠♥

Thorne paced inside of Ze'ev's room. Everybody gathered there to wait. Cinder went to go help Scarlet when she found out Cress was in labor. Winter stayed, not wanting to be there for the birth.

"How long does it usually take?" Thorne asked for the billionth time.

"It depends on each mother." Winter answered, again. Then she turned to Jacin. "Should I go check on her?"

Jacin gave her a sad smile. "You're not going near her till everything is cleaned up." He didn't want her near that much blood and... possibly screaming.

"Its been hours." Thorne complained.

"Give her time. It's not easy doing what she's doing right now. " Kai said.

Thorne looked horrible. He went and washed his face and changed his clothes to do something. "She's in so much pain. I should be there." He whispered to Ze'ev.

"Did they tell you that you couldnt?" He asked in return.

"Well, not exactly."

"Then go."

Thorne got up and paced some more.

♣♦♠♥

"I want Thorne!" Cress screamed. She was covered in sweat. She couldn't take this much longer. She was squeezing Cinder's hand so tightly she thought she would break it.

"Small pushes now, Cress. Small pushes for me." Scarlet said, ignoring her. "We're almost there."

Cress obeyed, pain racking through her body. "I'm going to kill Thorne!" She said with the next push.

"You just said you wanted him." Cinder replied with a smile.

"I want him so I can kill him!" Cress gasped.

"I see the head!" Scarlet exclaimed. "One more big push, Cress. You can do this!"

So with all her strength, Cress pushed.

Then there was quiet... and a baby's screaming cry.

"Its a boy!" Scarlet said. She cleaned him and handed him to Cress while she went back to clean her up.

Then Thorne walked in.

"Thorne! We have a baby boy. You have a son!" Cress exclaimed, exhausted. She was crying with joy.

He, amazed, walked to Cress and kneeled down. She handed him his son and he held on tight.

"Oh, babe. He's perfect. Just like me." He looked up at Cress. "And you. I love you."

"Hold up a minute guys." Scarlet said. "There's another one."

Cress face fell and she looked at Thorne. "I can't do it again. I cant."

Thorne looked into his wife's eyes. "Yes you can. And I will be right here with you."

"Okay, Cress. I need you to start pushing again. Just like last time." Scarlet said, looking at Cress. "You can do it."

And she did. But this time, it was a girl.

Heeey guys! So, what do you think? Feel free to vote and comment. I would have done more details on this chapter but I didn't want to freak anybody out... :) Thanks for reading! Love ya!