Chapter Four

Thorne held her hair as Cress got sick again. It hurt him seeing her in pain like this.

"Baby, your sick. You need to see a doctor or take something for it." Thorne said as he rubbed her back.

"Thorne, I'm fine." Cress insisted. "Really, I only feel it randomly... I'm fine now that it's over."

Thorne smiled. "That's what worries me. How long has this been happening?"

Cress looked up as if she were counting. Then something dawned on her and her eyes grew wide.

"Aces." She whispered.

Thorne was confused and panicked at the sudden change in Cress' behavior. "What?" He asked. " Cress-"

"Go get Scarlet." Cress whispered.

"But babe-" Thorne insisted. 

"Now! I only need Scarlet!"

Thorne quickly... and reluctantly went for Scarlet.

♣♦♠♥

Cress was pacing the room waiting for Thorne to come back with Scarlet.

Was it 2 months? Or 3? It was 3 months, she was sure. 3 months since it stopped, 2 since Thorne left. Oh stars... What if..?

Scarlet burst through the door, eyebrows raised. Cress could tell she was annoyed for having to leave her work, but also extremely curious and worried.

"Thorne?" Cress asked, not wanting him to overhear. 

"Downstairs." was her reply. "Now what I'm the galaxy is going on here?" She sounded like a mother.

Cress bit her lip and ran a hand through her hair. "I think I'm pregnant." She whispered, looking down at the ground. 

"Oh my gosh! " Scarlet smiled and clapped. Slowly she calmed down when she saw that Cress' reaction wasn't the same.

"Honey, what's the matter? Do you not want a baby?" She asked.

Cress immediately started crying. "No!" She wailed. " I do want kids. I do! But... What if... I mean... "

Scarlet exhaled and smiled. She sat down next to Cress. "What if Thorne doesn't want a baby?" She guessed.

Cress nodded and leaned into Scarlets shoulder.

"Well," Scarlet said softly. "before we worry about that... Let's go see if there really is someone in there? Hmm?" She poked Cress in the belly.

Cress lifted her head and smiled, excited. "Okay." She said, exhaling the word.

♣♦♠♥

Scarlet and Cress went into town a few minutes after they kicked Thorne out. But that was an hour ago. What could they be doing?  Too impatient to just sit around and wait, Thorne called a friend he hadn't spoken to in a while.

"Emperor Kai." Thorne greeted in an annoying voice.

As his face filled the screen Thorne could hear him laugh.

"What do you need, Thorne?" Kai asked.

Thorne pretended offense. "What? I can't call a friend just because?"

Kai raised his eyebrows. "So you interrupted my busy schedule just to chat?"

Thorne tried to suppress his grin but couldnt. "Nah, I wanted to ask you something."

Kai's smile was saying "I thought so"

"It's Cress."

" Ahh, how is your wife? " Kai asked politely.

Thorne shrugged his shoulders and sighed. "I don't know. She's distant... Like she's afraid. She's kind of acting like when we first met, but more... More guarded."

Kai's face was scrunched up in concentration, thinking. "Maybe she misses you. But your there now... Right?"

Thorne nodded vigorously.

"Well now that your there, she's afraid to get used to it, to get attached again. What Cress needs is your assurance that you will always be there when she needs you. I think..."

Thorne grinned. "Thanks. I know a few ways to do that." 

Kai laughed. "Yes. But also use your words. That works a lot more than you think, Thorne."

Thorne threw up his hands in frustration. "How am I supposed to do that when she's gone all day with Scarlet! Not to mention that she's sick and should  be in bed!"

Kai tilted his head. "Cress is sick?"

Thorne nodded, not entirely paying attention. "Yeah, she can't hold anything down."

Kai laughed quietly. "Be nice to her. Cress is fine. Just talk to her. Girls can get emotional, you know that. It doesn't stop when you get married."

Thorne half smiled. "Okay, will do. I'll let you go now. Thanks."

" Yeah, anytime. " Kai said then he signed off.

♣♦♠♥

Cress and Scarlet got back to the farm around early evening.

"You know," Scarlet said as they were walking up the driveway. "Ze'ev and I can't have kids."

"Why not?" Cress asked softly, hoping she didn't ask question she didn't want to answer. 

Scarlet glared at the ground in a sad way that broke Cress's heart. "The mutation that Levena put him through messed that function up somehow. I can have kids. He can't give them to me. But we're okay with that. I don't blame him and he isn't mad at himself anymore."

Cress hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"So am I." Scarlet whispered back, looking into her eyes "But now it's your time. Go in there and don't be afraid. I'll go check on the chickens." She winked.

When she was gone, Cress braved the door. She went up to her bedroom where Thorne would probably be. Then she took a deep breath and opened the door.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading my story, this chapter has been updated! 
I'm dedicating this story to my friend cr7worldsbest for being awesome! :) I'd also like to mention that chels_the_bookworm and shattered_quill and MrsAaronWarner inspire me to write. Their own stories are amazing and, well, yeah. Feel free to comment and vote! Love ya!