Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Denali followed Obi-Wan's gaze and saw that her side was covered in blood. She gasped and put her hand over her side, trying to stop the flow. She heard the sound of ripping fabric and felt through the darkness a hand press against her side. The pain was becoming even more unbarable. She wanted to cry out in pain, but knew that they would be discovered if they were too loud.

"Shh, you're alright. You're alright." Obi-Wan whispered to her silently as he began to tie the ripped piece of fabric around her side, trying to stop the blood flow. She couldn't help but let a few tears escape her eyes. But almost as soon as they had fallen, she felt a soft hand wipe them away.

"There, you'll live. Just like you told me, remember?" he asked her with a small smile on his face as he gently lowered his hand.

"Thank you." She managed to choke out.

"See? You can trust me, can't you?" he asked her.

"I know I can trust you, it's just that-" suddenly the tank began to move. The hatch began to open and light flooded in. The hard solid floor beneith Obi-Wan disappeared. Quickly he fell down and out of the tank, onto the forest floor.

"Obi-Wan!" Denali shouted from within the tank.

'Obi, please tell me you're alright.' she thought to him.

No reply.

'Obi-Wan Kenobi, I swear if you're messing with me I'm going to-' suddenly the floor beneith her disappeared as well. She screamed as she hit the ground, a loud cracking sound coming from her back. The pain was almost as awful as the pain in her side. But she stumbled to her feet, trying not to injure herself anymore.

"Denali!" she heard someone shout her name. She turned around, but saw no one. Just a bunch of tanks headed in her direction. She quickly turned around and began to run, well, more like 'limp' as fast as she could. She couldn't move super fast since she had not only hurt her side, but her back as well. But as she looked off into the distance, she could see a cliff. She decided she would lose the tank there.

She continued to limp quickly, jumping over rocks and sliding beneith falling trees. She was nearly there, all she had to do was run a few more yards.......

"Denali! Get down!" she heard someone shout. But it was too late. She reached the side of the cliff, jumping off of it and leaping through the air. She curved her body into a perfect dive so that when she hit the water it wouldn't hurt. She could hear the tank crashing as it hit the water. She hadn't known that it had gone over the edge as well, she figured it would've stopped.

She plunged beneith the surface, the cold water feeling great on her injuries. She continued to swim, making her way towards the lower area of the shore. That way it would be easier for her to climb back up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"DENALI!" Master Fisto shouted as the three jedi and gungan looked over the steep, rocky edge of the cliff. They were breathing heavily as they watched the tank sink down beneith the surface, slowly making it's way to the bottom of the lake. Not a single sign of Denali could be seen, and it was frightening them. Especially Obi-Wan.

"She...she has to come back up. She has to. She's a great swimmer, she'll survive this." Master Fisto said under his breath as they watched the water, trying to stay hopeful about the situation they were in. But after a few seconds, nothing came up. Not a single bubble. Nothing. Master Fisto stood up and was about to jump in after her when Master Jinn put his hand on his shoulder. He shook his head sadly.

"I'm sorry, Kit. But she is one with the Force now." Master Jinn said. Master Fisto looked as if he was about to cry. Obi-Wan didn't look any better as he painfully tore his eyes away from the scene, trying not to shed any tears.

"Come on, we have a mission to finish. She would want us to keep going." Master Jinn said as they walked along the edge of the cliff. Jar Jar Binks followed close behind.

"Meesa sorry for yousa friend." Jar Jar said as they walked.

None of them spoke. They made their way down to the shore, trying to reach the shallowest edge, their hearts as heavy as one of the Trade Federation's tanks. Obi-Wan felt horrible, as if he wanted to just lay down right there and die as well. He was tempted to do exactly that.

"Wait a second. Whatsa is that?" Jar Jar asked as he pointed to the dge of the lake.

They all looked and gasped. Standing there, watching them, was Denali. Her eyes were wide with shock. She trudged up the bank, her clothes soaked from her swim, her side now completely clean of blood. She stumbled as the others ran to her. Obi-Wan was the first to reach her. He slung her arm over his shoulder, just like he had done four years ago after the incident with her older brother.

"Obi-Wan?" Denali said as she looked up at him. He smiled at her as Master Jinn and Master Fisto hugged her as well.

"We thought you were gone for good." Master Fisto said with relief as he hugged his padawan tightly.

"Well, I'm going to be if I don't get some help soon." she said truthfully as she gestured to her back with her thumb. "I think I may have broken it when I fell out of the tank. I heard a really loud and unpleasant CRACK sound come from it when I landed.

"Master Fisto, Jar Jar, and I will go and talk to the locals and see if they can help. Obi-Wan, you stay up here with Denali. Make sure that no more harm comes to her. I know I can trust you with this job." Master Jinn said. Obi-Wan nodded and watched as Master Fisto, Master Jinn, and the Gungan all waded into the water.

"I'm so happy you're alright." Obi-Wan said to Denali as he helped her lean back against a tree next to the lake. She gave him a small smile as she sat on the grass.

"I'm happy that I am, too." she replied in a weak voice.

Obi-Wan put his hand on her cheek, right where her bruise from her brother used to be. The sound of her jaw cracking still filled his mind, even years later. She gasped, her eyes squeezed shut, and held her side in pain. The blood was starting to flow again. The grass around her became stained with red, covered in a thick layer of gooey liquid.

"Obi...if I....don't...make it...:" she said in between ragged gasps of agony. Obi-Wan gently pressed his forehead against hers as he held his hand against her side, trying to stop the blood from gushing out, his eyes looking into hers.

"You aren't going to die. I won't let you." he said to her. She looked back at him as he began to lean in closer to her....but she quickly shoved him away. She held her side in pure agony, the blood pouring through her fingers.

"That's....what was.....bothering me earlier....today..." she admitted to him. She squeezed her eyes closed, trying not to cry. He took her hand supportively. "We.....can't grow attached to eachother.... Obi-Wan.....It's not....the Jedi way." she continued. Obi-Wan knew what she meant. He wished he hadn't, though.

* * * * * * * * * * *

The shove of rejection- It's victim: Young Padawan Kenobi. Poor guy. Remember to comment, vote, and follow if you've enjoyed this adventure so far!! :)

~Madness