Chapter Thirty-Three

Denali quietly snuck out of her bedroom, everyone was sleeping since night had come. Jar Jar was in the droid repair room, his feet resting on the table as he snored in his seat, his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth with each loud snore. Padme and Jeesa were sleeping beside eachother, resting on a blanket as a mattress. Denali noticed how close Jeesa and Padme were, they were like best friends.

'I wish I had a best friend.' Denali thought as she made her way to the tool box on the counter. Whenever she was stressed, she would love to create new things from common house-hold items. One time she made a lock-pick out of just a toothpick and a coin. She silently dug around though the supplies, searching for the right tool she needed, when she looked over to her right. Anakin was sitting on the floor, a blanket tightly wrapped around his shoulders, as he watched her. Denali smiled at him and walked over to where he was sitting.

"Hey, Ani. You feeling alright?" she asked him as she sat down beside him. He was shivering.

"I-It's v-v-very cold." he said through his chattering teeth. She stood up.

"Come on, my room is way warmer than this. Plus I have a whole ship-load of blankets in there." she said as she extended her hand to him. He took it, and she helped him to his feet. They quietly snuck through the ship, til they reached Denali's bedroom again. They stepped inside, then closed the door behind them.

"You're right, it is warmer in here." Anakin said as he sat down on her bed, grabbing one of her blankets and wrapping it around himself. She sat down at her desk, continuing to mess with the present she was going to give Ani.

"I made this for you." Ani said as he hopped off of the bed, walking over to Denali and placing a small object in her hand. She looked at it, a small smile on her face. It was a small wooden charm on a piece of string. "So you'd remember me. I carved it. It'll bring you good fortune."

"It's beautiful, Ani. But I don't need this to remember you by. You're my best friend. And no one can forget their best friends." she said to him as she ruffled up his hair. She tied the piece of string around her neck, the charm hanging just below her collar bone. Anakin sat on the table and saw what she was working on.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Actually, it's my gift to you." she said as she picked up the small device. It was the same size as the charm Anakin had given her.

"It's a miniature model of 'The Heart of the Robot'." Anakin said with a smile as he held the small metal object in his hands. Denali smiled as well, happy that he had recognized her creation.

"Many things are going to change when we reach the Capital, Ani. But you will always be my best friend, and I will always care about you. Nomatter what happens." Denali said with a sad smile.

"I will always care about you, too." Anakin said. Denali hugged Ani, and he hugged her right back. He didn't want to let her go, he felt like he cared about her a little more than a Jedi should. But he would never tell her that.

"Whenever you look at that heart, Ani, think of me. And whenever I look at this good luck charm, I will always think of you. That way you'll never forget me." Denali said with a smile.

"I wouldn't have forgotten you in the first place. Like you said, best friends never forget eachother." Anakin said to her as they pulled away from eachother.

In the morning, the ship arrived on Corasaunt. Obi-Wan was walking down the hall when he sensed that Denali hadn't woken yet. He knew it was still very early, none of the rest of the crew were up yet either. Quietly, the door to her room slid open. He looked around, notcing something strange. On the floor, laying on a mountain of pillows, was Denali, sleeping soundlessly. And on her bed, wrapped in countless blankets, was Anakin. His hand was clutched around something tightly, not wanting to let go.