Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

The two groups split up, then met at the secret entrance outside the palace. The Queen gave the other group lead by Captain Panaka the signal as they hid behind one of the walls, unseen by the many droids that patrolled the area. Anakin was silent as Master Jinn knelt down beside him, the man's hands on his shoulders as the straps of the sling around his back grew heavier and heavier as the time went by. Chewie was silent, knowing that it was important not to be heard at the moment.

"When we get inside, you and Chewbacca need to find a safe place to hide and stay there, understood?" Qui-agony asked.

"Sure." Anakin said with a nod.

"Ani, I can carry him if-"

"No, it's alright, Denali. I've got him. He isn't that heavy." Anakin said with a smile. He refused to look weak in front of Denali. He knew he could handle carrying something as simple as a baby. But this baby was very heavy. Especially for a wookiee.

Then the distraction began.

Captain Panaka's group began to blast at the droids, drawing their attention towards them and away from the Queen and the others as they made a run for the palace. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Kit, and Denali all ignited their lightsabers, ready to protect the Queen if she needed it. The Queen and the other Jedi ran into the Palace, making their way to the hangar. Denali deflected three shots as the droids began to aim. The shots ricocheted off of her blade and bounced back at the droids, causing them to fall to the ground.

"Anakin, go find cover!" Denali shouted over the blaster fire. Anakin quickly ran and hid behind one of the large crates in the hangar bay, safe from harm. Within seconds, all of the droids were destroyed. Denali quickly looked around for Ani to make sure he was alright, when she didn't see him, she began to worry.

"Where's Anakin and Chewie?" Denali asked Obi-Wan quickly.

"Don't worry, Denali! We're up here!" A voice called from one of the ships. Denali and Obi-Wan looked up and saw that Anakin was sitting in the cock-pit, Chewie happily making baby noises as he sat in Ani's lap as he waved his small arm at Denali. She chuckled and waved back, causing the wookiee baby to giggle.

"Good hiding spot, Anakin. Now stay there til we come and get you." Master Jinn said.

"But I-"

"Stay in that cock pit, Ani. Take care of Chewie for me til I get back." Denali called up to him. He sighed, but obeyed his orders. The group of Jedi and soldiers approached the door that lead out of the hangar. The metal doors slid open to reveal a dark cloaked figure standing before them. They all stopped in their tracks.

"We'll take care of this." Master Jinn told the group of soldiers. Padme and Captain Panaka lead the fleet of people away and down the hall, while Denali, Obi-Wan, Master Fisto, and Master Jinn stayed behind. The four Jedi removed their cloaks and ignited their lightsabers, Denali in the front of the group. The dark figure removed his cloak as well, revealing his horned, black and red head.

"Hello again, Denali." Zeffan said as he ignited his red two-bladed lightsaber. "I see your shoulder has healed quite nicely."

"My shoulder should be the least of your worries, you Sith scum!" She spat at him. Denali ran towards him, preparing to strike. Darth Maul grinned evilly and blocked her attack.

"So much power, so much strength. You could've been so much like your brother." Zeffan said smugly to her.

"I am nothing like Danik! I will never be like my brother!" She said as she kicked him in the stomach, then did a back-flip to avoid his next attack. Master Jinn and Obi-Wan took over and began to fight him as well, their lightsabers clashing as they made contact with Zeffan's red blade. They continued to duel across the hangar, making their way to another door. Maul quickly opened it and ran inside. Denali gasped at the sight as she realized that the room was filled with large tubes full of purple bolts of electricity. The tubes were massive, many bigger then a full-size land speeder.

"Come and get me, Denali!" Maul shouted and laughed evilly as he faced her. Obi-Wan could sense that something wasn't right. Denali ran at the Sith, wanting to kill him with her bare hands. Maul used the Force to knock the other Jedi off their feet, wanting to only battle Denali. He had a score to settle with her. Denali shouted in anger as her lightsaber became locked with his in a heated battle of strength.

"I'm going to kill him, Denali. I'm going to make you suffer just like you made me when you imprisoned Zendy. You are going to regret ever leaving the Rancor Slayers. You may have been trained as a Jedi, but you will be killed like the monster you truly are." Zeffan whispered, then used all of his power to shove her away. Using the Force, he threw her across the large chamber room, slamming her against the wall. She fell to the ground, coughing as blood dripped from her nose.

"Denali!" Master Fisto and Obi-Wan shouted at the same time. The three other Jedi quickly got to their feet and ran towards Denali was they watched Maul run towards her as well. She quickly got to her feet and re-ignited he white-bladed lightsaber. She barely had enough time to come back to reality before Maul slammed his blade against hers, nearly knocking her off her feet. She wasn't fast enough as she felt Zeffan's red blade pierce her left leg. She screamed in agony as he pulled the blade out slowly, an evil grin on his lips.

"Run, Denali!" Master Jinn shouted. She used the Force to throw Zeffan away from her, giving her enough time to run down one of the hallways that lined the walls of the large chamber. She wasn't wimping out, she was just following orders. But then, just as she thought she was safe, the hallway in front of her was suddenly sealed off. A red security shield blocked her way ahead, and behind. She turned around and saw that Zeffan was in the small shielded area behind her, his hatred-filled glare peering into her soul.

"Zeffan, you don't have to do this." Denali said to him, holding her leg in pain.

"How naive of you, Denali. If only I didn't want to kill you so badly, maybe you actually would've stood a chance." Maul cooed evilly.

Then the shield opened.

Maul lunged at her, his blade smashing against hers forcefully. Help was so far away, Obi-Wan and the other two Masters had just reached the entrance of the hallway. Qui-Gon ran as fast as his feet could carry him, faster than Master Fisto or even Obi-Wan. Just before the shield had closed, he quickly tucked and rolled out of the hall and into the small chamber Denali and Maul were battling in. Obi-Wan and Master Fisto watched helplessly as Qui-Gon tried to aid Denali in battle. Maul extends his hand toward Qui-Gon, causing him to go flying and slamming against the wall, just like Denali had done. Qui-Gon fell to the ground. It only took a second for Master Jinn to get back on his feet.

But a second was all Zeffan needed.

Denali flinched as she Zeffan slammed his fist against her cheek, causing her jaw to crack. Just like it had when Danik had said good bye to her. The sound of her jaw cracking filled the room and echoed off the walls, causing anger to vibrate inside of Obi-Wan. Denali gasped as a red blade pierced her left shoulder, sticking out of her back.

"No!" Obi-Wan shouted as he watched her fall to the ground, her lightsaber falling out of her grasp. Qui-Gon attacked, rage filling his actions, but met the same fate. Denali looke over at Qui-Gon, her rescuer, the man who had flown her away from her awful fate. She slowly used all of her energy to reach for his hand. He took it, a sad smile on his face, as they both realized that they were dying.

Denali looked over at her master as he and Obi-Wan battled Zeff, her old friend. She couldn't believe she had been fooled by him in the first place. She used all of her strength, staggering a bit, but steadied herself. She let to of Qui-Gon's hand as he watched her. Denali extended her hand towards her lightsaber and used the Force to grab it.

"Hey, Zeff." She said. Maul gasped, and turned around, realizing he hadn't quite finished his job.

"Looks like I'll be killing you instead."

Darth Maul gasped as the lightsaber blade sliced right through him. He fell to his knees, then onto the floor. Dead. Denali, Obi-Wan, and Master Fisto all looked at the dead body before them. Denali could feel her eyelids getting heavy as her vision began to get blurry. She suddenly felt like she was falling, hearing someone calling her name.

Then everything went black.