Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The two sat in silence, thinking, as they waited for Master Jinn, Master Fisto, and Jar Jar Binks to return to them, hoping that the three would bring help. Denali's skin was becoming pale as she lost more and more blood. Every once and a while Obi-Wan would wash off Denali's blood from the piece of cloth she was using as a bandage, then hand it back to her. Then he would walk back to where he was sitting, his back resting against a rock that was over three yards away.

After what Denali had said about not forming attachments, Obi-Wan seemed to have changed. Denali realized that instead of her giving him the cold-shoulder for the greater good, he was giving her the cold-shoulder because she had turned him down when he had tried to kiss her. She couldn't believe he was being so selfish.

'I can't believe he's acting like this towards me when I'm trying to protect him from getting hurt. I mean, if we had somehow fallen in love and the Council found out, we'd be expelled from the Jedi Order for sure. I don't want that, and I know that he definately doesn't want that. So why is he being such a jerk?'

'I can hear you.' she heard Obi-Wan think.

'I know.' Denali thought back, her frustration growing towards him. She looked at her bleeding injury just above her hip, knowing that Obi-Wan was watching her at the second. She removed her hand from her side, letting the blood flow out onto the ground.

"What are you doing?" Obi-Wan asked her quickly as she looked at the red liquid that coated her hands. The blood seemed to shine in the daylight, glistening on her fingertips.

"It's no use, Obi." she said sadly, her hope dripping away as fast as her blood. Obi-Wan quickly stood up, running to her. He wasn't going to let her give up. He refused to let her die. Not on his watch. He sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"You can't give up. You can't." he said to her. She shook her head. Her face was nearly as white as it had been the first time he had met her. He could remember seeing her for the first time as if it had been yesterday. She was shaking as Obi-Wan held her hand. Her skin was freezing. He put his hand on her cheek, making her look at him.

"Denali, please. Just a little longer. Qui-Gon will be here soon, he...he'll help you." Obi-Wan told her. She took a deep breath, squeezing his hand tightly.

"I don't-"

"You can do this, I know you can. You've been through worse, you can do this." he said to her. She just shook her head, looking down. Obi-Wan quickly put his hand on her side to try and help stop the blood flow, but it looked like the blaster-shot had gotten even bigger. Denali took another ragged breath, then her eyelids began to flutter closed and her grip on his hand began to loosen. Obi-Wan began to panic as he felt her drifting away.

"Denali, stay awake." he said to her. She began to lean forward, but he caught her in his arms. He could feel her heart beating, the rythm becoming slower and slower as the seconds rolled by. Denali was silent, her eyes starting to close as Obi-Wan's eyes began to fill up with tears.

"No...no, Denali. I lost you once, I can't lose you again." he said, his voice cracking. Her hand slowly lifted up, touching his cheek as her eyes began to glaze over. She took a deep breath, as if she was about to say something...but then she stopped.

The next few seconds left like they were going by in slow motion to Obi-Wan.

Denali's eyes closed. Her hand dropped down, hitting the forest floor. Her heart stopped as Obi-Wan held her in his arms. The last thing she remembered seeing was Obi-Wan's scared face, and hearing him shouting her name.