Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

We arrived at the other side of the Core a few hours later. I was happy that I had gotten two hours of sleep. When I woke up, I felt energized as our shuttle bobbed up to the surface of a different lake, one that was surrounded by a large city. I looked out my window, gazing at all the magnificent structures and architecture. The Naboo were famous for their beautiful cities, and I had finally realized why.

"Let's go." Master Jinn said as we all jumped out of the bongo onto the bank of the lake we had arrived in. The lake was near the Capitol, where the Queen of Naboo surely was located. Something wasn't right, I could feel it in my gut. We all quickly ran down the streets of Theed, the golden-colored bricked streets seemed to shine in the daylight. It was all so amazing, so beautiful.

Too bad it had fallen into the hands of the Trade Federation.

Masters Jinn and Fisto led the way, followed by Jar Jar and Jeesa, who Obi-Wan and I kept close watches on as we took the back. We didn't want the two of them causing trouble. Especially Jar Jar. I worried about him the most, and I'm sure Obi did as well.

The streets were swarming with battle droids, so we decided to stay within the upper levels of the walkways, making it harder for the droids to see us. As we got closer to the Capitol building, we looked down at the road below our walkway. Headed straight for us were the Queen and her hand-maidens, escorted by mulitple battle droids. Obi-Wan and I looked at eachother.

'You ready to take out some droids?' I thought to him.

'Only if you don't get yourself killed.'  he thought back to me, a smirk on his face.

'I still have alot of things to do before I die.' I thought as we and the Masters took out of lightsabers, ready to attack when the moment was right. The droids were coming closer, soon we'd have to strike if we watned to free the Queen and her servants.

'And what exactly did you have in mind?' he asked.

'Well, I know that I'm going to kiss you at least once before I die.'

'I thought you were against making attachments.'

'Well, I've been thinking....and I guess you're an exception.' I thought back to him, a smirk on my lips.

Then we attacked.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I couldn't believe she had just told me that. She had just told me that she was going to kiss me at least once before she dies. My heart was beating rapidly as we leaped over the railing of the walkway, our lightsabers ignited. We struck down the droids, one by one, quickly and easily. We turned our lightsabers off and returned them to our belts. Jar Jar and Jeesa had joined us after the fight, making sure that they hadn't gotten themselves injured in the blaster-fire.

"We should leave the streets, Your Highness." Master Jinn said. We all quickly made our way into an alley where Qui-Gon introduced us to the Queen. The Queen was younger than I expected her to be, she seemed even younger than Denali or I.

'What if you die tomorrow? I'm not saying that will happen, but....'

'Then I guess I'll have to kiss you tonight.' she thought back to me.

'Are you trying to give me a heart-attack?'

'Wow, does the idea of kissing me really gross you out that much?'

'No, i just meant-'

"Do you have transports?" Qui-Gon asked one of the officers that had occumpanied the Queen.

"In the main hangar, this way." he said. We all followed him, running in the direction the man was leading us. I tried to think back to her as we ran.

'I didn't mean it like the way you thought I did. Look, what I'm trying to say is-'

'Relax, Kenobi. You don't have to kiss me.'

'I never said I didn't want to.' I didn't hear any replies after that as we walked into the main hangar. A whole squad of droids surrounded a group of pilots who were sitting on the floor, prisoners. The officer who had lead us to the hangar came forth.

"We'll need to free those pilots." he said.

"We'll deal with that." Denali said behind me, referring to she and I. I gave her a small smile, which she returned, as we approached the droids. I walked by her side. As she stepped forward, she seemed....different. More confident than she had been earlier. Almost like something had changed. Almost as soon as the droids noticed us, Denali ignited her white-bladed lightsaber and sliced them into pieces, deflecting and dodging the shots they took at her. I ignited mine as well and destroyed the rest.

"Go!" Denali shouted to the pilots. They all quickly stood up and ran for the ship that we were boarding. We followed them onto the shuttle as it lifted off the ground, the ramp sliding back and the doors closing as the ship took off. I watched as Denali pulled Jeesa to the side and strained my ears to here what she was saying.

"Make sure to keep an eye on Jar Jar. We don't want him getting into any trouble." Denali said. Jeesa nodded and followed Jar Jar. I saw Denali take a deep relieved breath, then walked into the elevator that lead to the bridge. She pressed the button. I quickly stepped in before the doors closed. She looked at me, then stared at the floor as the elevator began to move.

'Sooooo.....about that kiss....' I thought to her, the smirk not leaving my lips. She smiled at the floor, rolling her eyes.

'Fine, I'll give you a kiss.' she thought. Suddenly her I felt her lips press against my cheek. I could feel my face turning red.

'That's not a real kiss, but I'm not complaining either.'

'What exactly would you call a real kiss?' The ship suddenly shook as it made it's way towards the Trade Federation's blockade that surrounded the planet. I could tell we were being shot at. Denali suddenly stumbled forward, loosing her footing as the ship continued to shake. I quickly caught her, holding her close to me. Our faces were less than three inches away from eachother.

'Why is it that whenever I'm in danger, I always end up falling into your arms?' she asked me, a soft smile on her lips.

'I wouldn't have it any other way.' I thought back, a sincere smile on my face. I couldn't help but lean towards her. This time, I knew I wasn't going to be shot down. This time I knew that I would finally find out what her lips tasted like. She leaned forward as well. We became closer, and just as our noses brushed against eachother, the elevator door BINGED, signalling that we had made it to the bridge.

'Blast it.' I thought, frustration building up inside me. I was so close, so so close. Denali stepped away from me, looking just as dissappointed as I was. The doors slid open and she quickly walked out before I could say anything to her.

Damn my stupid teenage hormones.