Chapter 10

Do you know how to spell anxiety? Let me spell it for you. J-A-S-M-I-N-E.

That's right.

Right after Austin dropped me home, I decided that it was a good time to know if my mom has made up here mind yet about me going to Australia.

"Mom, you promised me that's you'll tell me your decision today," I said walking behind her. "It's been a day and I can't wait any longer."

She quit walking around and I bumped into her from behind. "I've finally made up my mind."

Finally.

"Okay, so I can go to Australia with my boyfriend?" I asked hopefully.

Mom raised an eyebrow at me when I said that. "What do you mean?" I was scared to tell her about what happened tonight.

Here goes nothing. "Austin gave me a promise ring and asked me to be his girlfriend," I said showing her the ring on my ring finger on my right hand.

"You said yes, didn't you?" Mom prophesied. I slowly nod my head, scared of what she'll say next.

"Explain." She demanded.

I told her everything that happened on our date. Even the fact that we kissed. It's better to tell the complete truth then lie and have it revealed by someone else then also have consequences.

"By hearing all this, I don't regret my choice." She paused for a moment.

"My answer is, "I crossed my fingers and hoping she will say the answer that I want to hear.

"No. Final answer. Now don't keep on bugging me to change my mind, because I'm not. Anyways I have to go to work, and I'll be back Friday afternoon."

She just simply said 'No' like it was no big deal for her. Well, it is a big deal for me!

"What?! Why?" I shouted in frustration.

"Because I said so." God, I hate that dialogue. I'm not a child or anything. I'm seventeen years old for god sake!

Mom can't just control every part of my life. It's not fair. It's just not.

"What the heck mom?! Stop treating me like a two-year-old all the time! I can take care of myself you know! Unlike what your expired thinking process is saying that I can't. Well, I can! I can most definite-"

All of a sudden, I felt Mom's hand roughly brush against my cheek very hard, and I fell onto the wooden floor and made a loud 'thump' noise that even Cheryl and dad could hear because they were running down the stairs and gasped when they saw me on the ground.

"Jasmine!" Cheryl yelled.

"Jane, what did you do?" My dad asked, determined for an answer.

My mom just pushed him out of her way and said, "Don't touch me, Arson. And as for you Jasmine, you do remember that I'm the older one here, don't you? And what happened to the filter between your brain and your mouth? Did it disappear or what?" Mom snapped.

How can she do that to her own daughter? I know I got a bit carried away as well, and I didn't even think for once about my mom. I just uttered whatever came into my brain without permeating my thoughts.

But, mom? She has never ever hit me before. Was she drunk or something? Has she lost her mind?

I don't even know. All I know is that my body hurts, a lot. Especially my head. "Mom, I didn't mean to-"