¹³ ⁻ ᵏⁱⁿᵈ ᵍᵉˢᵗᵘʳᵉˢ.

¹³ ⁻ ᵏⁱⁿᵈ ᵍᵉˢᵗᵘʳᵉˢ.

Smokey walked in between my legs, meowing away. "I know, I know Smokey, I'm getting your food, hold on.." For a cat that didn't stay around long, he sure was demanding. Smokey was all over the place. He disappeared at random intervals, and came back, stayed for a few days, and then he was gone again. I've always wondered where he went, but I guess I'll never find out. He rubbed up against my bare legs, purring. I reached up on the shelf, getting his food bowl. I scooped some cat food into the bowl, and set it down, where he began to munch away. 

I stroked his soft, black coat, and began cleaning up the kitchen. Mary wasn't here, and neither were any of the kids. Mary was at work, working as maid for a few Bloom families in the city. Surprisingly, Mary was okay with me staying home from school. She thought I needed sometime to recuperate. So I was all alone. It was kind of relaxing to be alone for the day, not having to worry about anybody but yourself. But it was kind of lonely. I did think about how Joshua made it through school, and if any one had bothered him. He was going to be home soon, and finally, there was going to be another person in the home. I washed the few pots and pans that were in the sink, drying them off, and then putting them up in the cabinets. 

Suddenly, the front door opened, Joshua walking in. He slammed the door behind himself, and I flinched. His chest was heaving, and he was breathing heavily. His jaw was clenched, and the veins in his hands and forearms were budging out. "Joshua, are you alright?" I asked, worried. He dropped his bag, and came into the kitchen, staring me down. 

"Your friend, Josiah, ain't what he turned out to be."

I dropped the dish towel, raising my eyebrows. What does he mean? Did he see Josiah do something wrong? "What are you talking about, Josh?" 

"Your fucking friend, is a piece of shit. He only wanted to get into your panties."  

He began to storm up the stairs, and I followed after him, into his room. "Josh? Joshua, what are you talking about?" He dumped his book bag on the floor, looking at me. His eyes were cold, his jaw still clenched. "What don't you understand, Monroe?!" He yelled at me, surprising me. His voice was loud, booming, and I'll admit, it scared me. Joshua's never yelled at me..what riled him up so much? I started to step towards him, but he turned his dresser off, blocking my way. It fell with a loud boom, and I flinched. 

"His friends talked about you like you were some type of..slut!" He screamed, turning away from me. I bit my lip, watching him grip his hair, pacing back and forth. I had never seen him like this before. And it was terrifying me. "Joshua.." He just..dropped to the floor, hugging his knees to his chest. I slowly went around the dresser, getting on my knees, crawling towards him. He was mumbling to himself, and I could see tears running down his cheeks. Once I reached him, I placed my hand on his arm. "Joshua.."  I sat next to him, letting him lay his head in my lap. 

"I'm sorry..I'm sorry.." 

I rubbed his back, sighing. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, running my hand through his soft hair. "N-No.." he mumbled, "I just..I don't like when people talk about you like that.." I nodded. "It's alright.." 

For a while, I sat there with him, rubbing his back. Then he said that he was tired, and I helped him into bed. He didn't ask me to stay though, and I listened. Joshua was different from other people I've met. He had an outburst like that, a year or two ago. He literally went on a rampage in his room, punching holes in his walls, throwing everything around. Mary told me that he acted the way he did because he was angry at himself and the world. She said that he wasn't dealt a good hand, when he was child. His parents abused him, and he ran away..and ended up here. Joshua didn't know that I knew how he became a Wilt, but I wasn't going to tell him that I knew. 

Mary and the other kids came home, and we all started to get ready for dinner. "Where's Joshua? He wanted me to show him how I did on my report!" Kai asked, smiling. "He's asleep.." "What happened? Usually he's up," Tiffany sat at the breakfast table, looking at me. "Just let him rest, you guys," I told them. They shrugged, leaving the kitchen. Mary came in, kissing my forehead. 

"I forgot to ask you, how did your meeting with Josiah go?" 

"It was alright. His house is pretty, and his parents are nice." 

"What do they do?" sh asked, heating the oven. "They're lawyers. I also got a chance to meet their business partners..the Suttons."  Mary nearly dropped the empty pan she was holding, coming up to me. "You saw your parents? Did they recognize you?" I nodded, "But they didn't say anything." 

Part of being a Wilt means that I had to change my last name. My parents were very influential people, and having people knowing that their daughter was becoming a Wilt would've damaged their reputation in the community. It would be in paper, and they couldn't, and wouldn't tolerate that. So during the process, I had to pick a new last name for myself. I couldn't come off with one of my head, so they had to give me a list, and I had to choose from there. My parents both signed the document, and it was official. I was no longer a Sutton. I was now, Tucker. My "parents" probably told their friends that I was now living with some Aunt in Paris. 

Mary sighed, "Are you okay?" 

I nodded, and she hugged me. "But that Josiah, did he try anything?" I cracked a smile, "No." That brought me back to what Joshua said. Josiah didn't seem like the type of person to be like that. His friends might be jerks, but Josiah was different. That's silly. He wouldn't use me, right? He was far too nice for that, and I don't even think he was capable of doing that. The kind, gentle gestures he portrayed, he couldn't think of me like that. He wouldn't betray my trust..even though I had betrayed his by lying to him. 

But..what if Joshua was telling me the truth? He wouldn't get that worked up over just anything. I wouldn't know how to react. Maybe I would be hurt? I had trusted him..I pushed my doubts aside when I felt that I shouldn't have trusted him. But Joshua could've misunderstood him.. Maybe I should just talk to Josiah about it, smooth things over. Because we do have a project, and I don't want an issue. 

After all of us ate dinner, I finished the homework Joshua brought for me, and went to check in on him. I had brought him some dinner, and hopefully he was up so he could eat it. His back was to me when I walked in. He looked over his shoulder at me, and I walked over to his nightstand, turning on the lamp. He gave me a soft smile, and started to sit up. "How do you feel? You good?" He nodded at me, and I smiled. I handed himt he plate, and he began to eat, while I stood there. 

"I'm going to talk to Josiah tomorrow..just to clear the air." 

He dropped his fork, looking at me. He frowned, sighing deeply. 

"Don't look at me like that, Josh..I want to know myself."

"So you're calling me a liar?" 

I shook my head, "I'd never do that, I promise..I just want to know if it's tue or not.."

"So you're going to trust some Bloom nigga who you've only known for about two weeks? But you won't trust me? I've known you for four years. I know almost every fucking thing about you, but you wanna fucking trust him?"

He was starting to raise his voice at me, and I bit my lip. "I'm not saying that, Joshua, please..it's just that he's nice to me, and I don't think he would do-"

"All because he's fucking nice to you, doesn't mean shit. What happened when someone was this nice to you, Monroe? What happend?" He growled at me. I looked down at the floor, feeling tears start to fill my eyes. "Monroe..you know I didn't-"

"Yes you did!" I screamed at him, "That wasn't my fault, Joshua! I was stupid and naive, and you of all people should know! You're one of the only people I've told!" 

"Monroe.."

"You can be such a jerk, sometimes!"

I left his room, slamming his door. Going into my room, I closed the door gently, locking it. 

Then I started to cry. 

And I cried hard.