¹⁴ ⁻ ˢᵗᵃᵗⁱᶜ.

¹⁴ ⁻ ˢᵗᵃᵗⁱᶜ. 

                                     "At night, I dream about you."

Tonight was beyond beautiful. 

The stars twinkled brightly in the night sky, people bustling around, the sounds of carnival games being heard. It was the Flower Field Fair, a yearly occasion where my friends and I went. Vibrant, beautiful flowers decorated practically everywhere, in varying colors. Several people walked past me, enjoying the scenery, just like me. Every year, they seemed to get better and better. Now they had roller coasters; which meant more fun for me!

"Monroe, come on!" My best friend, Tina squealed. She took my hand, pulling me down the walkway. Today was my fourteenth birthday, and my parents had finally let me to the carnival without their supervision. I finally wasn't on their leash for a while, and I was going to take advantage of the freedom that I was given. 

Tina and I walked around for a while, trying to decide what carnival game to play first. Instead of a game, Tina and I decided to ride one if the many roller coasters. As we stood in line, I read the sign about the coaster. 

            The Dragon

    Watch out, the fire is scorching! Welcome to The Dragon, a roller coaster that actually blows fire*!     

The Dragon will take you on a series of crazy twists and turns, and will even suspend you upside       down! Over 150 feet tall, The Dragon will boggle your mind!

            *The Dragon does not actually breathe fire. 

I looked up, and my mouth dropped open. The people in the ride were screaming, almost for their lives. It was crazy! One boy had thrown up on himself, and it had even landed on the boy next to him. I squeezed Tina's hand, and she grinned at me. 

Soon enough, we were first in line, and we showed the man our aqua wristbands. He let us by, and we climbed up the stairs, taking our seats in the front of the cart. We pulled the metal bar down to keep us in place, and I squeezed it tightly. Believe it or not, this would be my first time on a roller coaster.

The cart began to shake, and soon, we were racing down the track. Tina and I screamed at the top of our lungs, Tina's long, curly hair getting into her face. I let go of the metal bar, covering my eyes. She made me open them, and we approached a series of loops.n We screamed even louder - if that was possible. My voice was going to be hoarse, but the ride was actually..fun! 

When we had got off the ride, we wasted no time walking towards the other roller coasters. Tina stopped in her tracks, though, not moving. "Tina, what's up?" She pointed down the path, and I turned my head to look. 

Calvin Jones.

Calvin was the son of one of my Dad's close friends, and he was also my crush. He was in high school, a sophomore. He was dreamy, but Tina didn't understand why I had such a huge crush on him, as he was the exact opposite of someone my father would let me date. He was sixteen, and had two piercings; one on his lip and the other on his eyebrow. He had several tattoos, and even though he looked rough on the outside, he was actually nice. We haven't had a full blown conversation before, but we've exchanged hellos, once or twice. 

It looked like he was walking straight towards me, and I nervously tucked a strand of my curls behind my ear, trying to look cool. I didn't realize that he was right up on me, until I looked up into his smiling face. "Your parents told me that you were down here. I wanted to give you something," he told me. I watched as he pulled a necklace out of his pocket, that had a small heart pendant on the end. "Happy Birthday, Monroe." He brushed my hair aside, and slipped the necklace on, fastening it around my neck.