ᴄ ʜ ᴀ ᴘ ᴛ ᴇ ʀ ɝף ☛ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ.

ᴄ ʜ ᴀ ᴘ ᴛ ᴇ ʀ ɝף ☛ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ.

"Married?!" 

"Are you two crazy?!"

Sitting at the table next to Monroe, we stared at our livid parents, who were pacing back and forth around the room. We were only able to hide our engagement for about a week, even with us taking all the precautions possible. Somehow, they found out, and they were fuming at us for now telling them. I sighed, rubbing Monroe's hand. We were in the hot seat, and it was very uncomfortable. 

"I was a little iffy about you two moving in together, but now you two want to get married. You guys could've told us," Mary said, taking a seat at the table. I looked at Monroe, and she was looking down into her lap, probably embarrassed about this whole situation. I knew that they were upset, and that this was a big deal, but there were blowing it out of proportion slightly. I wasn't going to run away to Vegas with Monroe and get married, and never come back. 

We were simply engaged and going to be living together while we go to school. 

They're acting like we were going to get married the next day. 

Our parents continued on their lecture, about how we needed to focus on school, and that getting married wasn't a big priority. I understood what they were saying, but it just made me feel bad. I didn't want to second guess my choice, but what they were saying was making me do just that. Dad even went as far to say that I was "too in love with Monroe", and that I needed to settle down. But how could he say that to me? He figured out that he was in love with Mom when he was fifteen, and by the time that they were both seventeen, Mom was pregnant with me. 

"Josiah.." Monroe sighed, making me look at her. She had a sad look in her eyes, and took my hand, hugging it to her chest. "Maybe..maybe you proposed a little too soon, J.." she said, making me fear for the worst. She kissed my knuckles, "Josiah, promise me that you'll ask me again?" I shook my head at her, "No..no.." I could see tears welling up in her eyes, a few tears escaping and falling down her cheeks. Still holding my hand, she stood up, sliding off the ring, and placing it in my hand, gently. 

"Maybe we're moving a bit..too fast, Josiah."

She couldn't even look at me. 

I felt her kiss my forehead, and heard her walk out of the door. Mary looked at me sadly, and then towards the doorway. "Sweetie.." she got up, following after Monroe. 

It was like I was frozen. 

The room around me had fallen silent, and I could tell that everyone was staring at me. Looking down at the ring in my hand, I closed my hand, sighing. I felt sick. I felt sick and lost, and right there, I wanted to drop. I didn't understand..Monroe and I being together wasn't a problem up until now, but when I want to marry the girl of my dreams, the world is ending. I wasn't going around sleeping with tons of girls, being a terrible person, all I wanted to do was marry the one girl I was completely sure that I would spend the rest of my life with. 

"Josiah, honey-"

"Don't."

I stood up, brushing past my mother and father as I left the room. I went straight to my room, closing and locking the door behind me. Flopping onto my bed, I opened my hand, staring at the ring in my palm. Twisting around the ring between my fingers, I stared at it, closing my eyes. It felt like my world had lost all it's color. I wasn't sure what Monroe and I were going to do from here on out. She had lit up my world, bringing happiness and joy to my colorless world. I wasn't ashamed to admit that I was lonely before I met her. I felt like no one understood me, at all.