34.

Theo's POV:

We had finally made it to the store after a long and excruciatingly quiet ride over. I watched as Amaya pulled into a parking spot of an almost empty lot.

I was surprised it was so deserted, especially the day before one of the biggest holidays in America.

Then again maybe there were a lot of families out there like mine who didn't even celebrate the holidays unless it was for their parents' company's sake.

I remember as a child all we ever did on Thanksgiving was watch the Macy's Day Parade on tv with the maids before going about the rest of our day as if it was just another ordinary one. For most of my teens I spent almost every one of my Thanksgivings at parties or with a random girl whose name I couldn't even remember while I was in their presence.

But if all the movies I'd seen with a Thanksgiving scene were correct, then this store should be packed with people running to the store to get last minute ingredients, like Amaya and me. Maybe it's just a weird town or everyone coincidentally had everything they needed at home. I don't know what it was, but either way I was thankful to be here in a less cluttered place. It gave me a better chance to talk to Mya without her being as distracted.

She was full-on ignoring me now, but hey that's a typical Mya move. She might've been the one person I actually enjoyed to talk to and be around, but she was also so unbelievably stubborn.

Her not even bothering to look at me was causing problems. No matter what I said she would just keep her focus straight forward without even a single blink. If it wasn't Amaya, who sometimes had a flare for dramatics, I'd be worried she was having a medical condition.

As you all know, I had something very important to tell her, but her silent treatment wasn't exactly helping me out here.

"Mya, can you at least look at me? We have to talk and you know it." I tell her trying to get her attention for the millionth time in the last twenty minutes.

Her facial features tweaked the slightest bit as if she was starting to debate whether to end her silence for me or not. But she kept her eyes off me and turned the key of the car making the sounds of the engine come to a stop.

She placed the keys in her purse and climbed out of the car without me. I scurried out of the car behind her and jogged to catch up to her. She might've had short legs but when she was in a mood or a situation she could move as fast as lightning.

By the time I caught back up with her she was pushing a cart and leading it into the supermarket.

"Hey! Could've at least waited for me, Flash." I joked with her.

Usually she's laugh along or have a snarky comeback, but today there was no response.

The doors automatically slid open granting me and Mya entrance to the inside of the store.

The greeter inside the door welcomed us and told us what all was on sale before we nodded in understanding, gave a thank you, and were on our way.

As I had predicted, there was hardly anyone inside the store besides employees and a few other costumers.

Amaya kept to herself and pushed the cart along to the dairy section of the store in search of butter. As soon as she picked it up, she carelessly threw it into the cart probably denting it.

I watched as she whipped out the shopping list her mom had stuffed into her hands as she was walking out the door of the house and moved onto the next aisle she needed to be in. I silently walked along with her knowing if I spoke she would just ignore me anyways.