45.

"New York? Like...as in the city?" I asked him stupidly confused.

I understand he's from New York, but why would he want to go there for the holidays? Especially with his parents there waiting to sink their possessive claws in him.

"Well, unfortunately my mother wants me there for appearance purposes at one of her stupid rich people parties..." He trails off looking off to the drying grass.

"Why would you willingly go to your mother's party?" I roll my eyes not believing he'd actually put himself through that purposely.

He looks up at the sky as if doing that will help him avoid this conversation all together.

"Theo?" I question as I give his shoulder a nudge. quick punch.

He ignored it and looked down to the ground and then to Gracie. Knowing he's trying to avoid this I give him a punch to the arm. "Theo!"

"Okay okay." He gave up. "I have to go. I don't have a choice." He admitted as he crossed his arms and leaned back into the bench.

"And why's that?" I ask as I quirk an eyebrow curiously.

He let out a sigh and I watched him as he swiped a frustrated hand over his face.

"Don't worry about it. I just need to go, and I really need you there with me. You're the only person who'll probably keep me from throwing my mom's caviar in her face." He chuckled as he nervously scratched the back of his neck.

He was avoiding the subject of why he had to go to the party, so I let it slide for now. I sighed and considered my options. Stay home while he goes to a fancy party in New York? Or go with him but have to deal with his psycho parents?

"Eh I don't know..." I trailed off as I looked at little Gracie as she laid down and watched as her eyes started to flutter shut, ready for a nap. "Your mom and dad aren't particularly fond of me, if I do remember correctly."

"So what? I'm fond enough of you to make up for the both of them." He shrugged as he stretched out on the bench and laid his head in my lap.

I mindlessly played with the soft, brown wisps of his hair as I tried to come up with more reasons to not go.

"What about my family? I'd like to be with them for Christmas as well, ya know?" I stated as I watched his eyes flutter shut.

"We only need to stay at my parents place till the 23rd." He noted.

"Okay..." I said as my mind began to wander.

"I can even have you flown down to Louisiana. That way you don't have to drive." He said with his eyes still closed.

"You? I'll be taking you with me, of course! You need to know what an actual family Christmas is like." I admitted with a smile and it was hard not to notice the grin that appeared on Theo's face as well.

"But I like the road trips. They're adventurous and fun. I mean I doubt you'll get your car stolen a second time." I smirked when his eyes peeled open to give me a glare.

"Low blow, princess. Low blow." He muttered before sitting up.

"Well maybe you should be more careful with how well you leave you car keys attended." I chuckled remembering back to his big mistake that actually lead to many memories and bonding moments.

He gave me a sly smile before he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "Touché. See, this is the helpful insight I need with me in New York."