Chapter 2: Muerte

-

-

I try not to look at the attractive man, Antonio, who seems to harbor some resentment towards me, and who also happens to sit directly opposite my desk.

I cannot deny that he is extremely good looking but I know I can't afford to think like that, especially if we're going to be partners for the next... who knows how many years? And if Connor and I are going to work together long-term.

Rather than returning to my desk, I decide to sit in front of the pinboard with the map, where the points at which each girl was kidnapped are marked.

One of them is S Emerald Avenue.

I recognize the name and head back to my computer to look it up. I'm right. It was recently on the news; an infamous drug dealer was caught and taken into custody from this road.

However, he was arrested a few hours before one of the girls, Laura Harvey, was reported missing from that street where she lived. It's likely he knew what was going on, even if he wasn't directly involved.

I try to clear my mind to think about a possible connection, but eventually, I decide to examine the photos intently and revisit the idea later. I can't see exactly what it is yet, but I sense the photo of Phoebe will provide some kind of evidence.

In the image, the girl is lying on the concrete floor, her blood splattered up the wooden cabinet beside her.

Her eyes are still wide with fear, even though she is already dead at that point, and there's a tiny glint of silver sticking out from under the cabinet. Wait. A silver glint? Is that a screwdriver?

"Does anyone know what weapon was used to kill Phoebe?" I inquire with the team seated around me.

"Well, we can't be certain, but the forensic team suspects it was a thin object, possibly a screwdriver," Erin says, as Voight comes out and sits on the front edge of her desk to listen.

"Did anyone find one?" I ask next.

"No, nothing has been handed to us. Why?" Hank listens further.

"I think I may have found one," I reply, showing the picture to him. "There, under the cabinet, quite far under." I point at the little speck of silver that only shows up in the black mass under the shelf due to the flash photography.

His eyes widen slightly at the discovery of a possible weapon that was missed during the initial search of the premises.

"Jackson, Dawson, go to the warehouse now," he orders, and we get up, walking out of the station immediately. I follow Antonio to his car and climb into the passenger side.

He glares at me from the driver's seat every now and then before returning his attention to the road. "Have we got a problem?" I ask him eventually.

"No," he replies bluntly.