Chapter 16: My Way

-

-

We gather around a long table, the somber atmosphere of the funeral lingering even in the midst of the buffet spread. The room is filled with a mix of my dad's work friends who've traveled back to Chicago and Jesse's colleagues, along with my own coworkers.

Lucas is too young to fully comprehend the gravity of the situation, which is why I chose to schedule the funeral on a school day, with Pat set to pick him up later.

"Hey, are you alright?" Tess's voice breaks through my thoughts.

"Yeah," I reply, my gaze drifting to the empty seat beside me. "Dad just left so many times... and now he's really gone. It feels like the first time he left again."

"I know," Tess whispers sympathetically.

"How long are you staying in Chicago for?" I inquire, trying to shift the conversation.

"I don't know," she responds, her tone heavy with uncertainty.

"Well, when do you have to get back to work?" I press gently.

"I don't know," Tess repeats with a shrug.

"Don't tell me you got fired again?" The words slip out before I can stop them, and Tess's reaction is immediate.

"Stop acting like you're Mom," she whispers sharply, mindful of drawing attention.

"I'm sick of being the older sister to my older sister!" I retort, frustration bubbling up within me.

"Well, be the younger sister then! I'm fine on my own," she snaps back, and I feel a pang of regret at the tension between us as she stalks off.

"You good?" Antonio's voice interrupts, pulling me from my thoughts. I clutch my wine glass to my chest, feeling a sense of unease wash over me as I observe the mingling groups around the room.

"Yeah," I murmur, forcing a small smile.

"Ah, it's the wonderful Katie," Dr. Charles approaches with Sarah Reese in tow.

"Daniel," I greet him with a hug, finding comfort in his presence. He's been a constant source of support throughout my life.

"How are you today?" His question feels like a broken record, and I can't help but roll my eyes inwardly.

"I'm good," I reply tersely, noticing Sarah and Daniel exchanging a glance. "Are you shrinking me right now?" I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

"Why would you think that?" Daniel's response is smooth, but I can sense his concern beneath the surface.

"Because two psychiatrists are looking over me," I quip, though the truth is not far off.

"I know you'll talk once you're ready," Daniel nods reassuringly before moving away.