Chapter 23: I Am Doing What I Want

-

-

"Come on, Lucas, we're late!" I call out from the front door, the morning rush already setting my nerves on edge. The weight of the day ahead presses down on me as I hustle Lucas to the car, his small figure darting ahead with youthful energy.

"Are you going to pick me up later? Are we going to see dad? Can I stay at his house?" Lucas's questions tumble out one after another, his excitement obvious as he eagerly anticipates the day ahead.

"Pat is going to pick you up from school. Yes, you can come with me to pick up your dad, but no, you cannot stay at his house. Not a chance," I inform him, feeling a twinge of frustration. I'm already late for work, and the thought of Kieran being anywhere near Lucas fills me with dread.

"Where's Tony? Why didn't he stay here last night?" Lucas's innocent queries continue.

"I don't know!" I snap, frustration seeping into my voice. Immediately, guilt washes over me, and I take a deep breath to steady myself, squeezing my eyes shut briefly before starting the car and navigating the familiar route to the school. "I'm sorry. I just don't know."

"Can dad move into the new house with me and you and Tony?" Lucas's hopeful voice breaks through my internal turmoil, stirring conflicting emotions within me.

"No, he can't," I reply firmly.

"Why?... Why?... Why?... Why?" Lucas's persistent questioning needles at my patience, each repetition echoing.

"School time. I'll see you later," I say as we pull up outside the school, watching Lucas's figure disappear through the doors before speeding away to District 21.

"Woah!" Sergeant Platt's exclamation draws my attention as I rush through the precinct doors, her quizzical gaze meeting mine. "Rough night?" Despite my best efforts to conceal it, the tension that grips me is evident to those around me.

"I'm not in the mood," I mutter, brushing past her and climbing the stairs to Intelligence. With each step, the weight of the morning's chaos bears down on me, my mind racing with a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions.

"Your husband called from Statesville," Sergeant Platt calls after me, her words cutting through the fog of my thoughts.

"Well, good for him," I reply tersely, the strain of the morning's events evident in my tone as I continue on my way.

"Hey, some guy from H.Q. called," Nadia informs Erin, her voice carrying a note of concern. "Voight skipped a com stat meeting. I tried to call, but it went straight to voicemail."

"Weird," Erin frowns, her brow furrowing with worry. "I'll try him."

"See?" Nadia says, her voice tinged with uncertainty as Erin quickly removes the phone from her ear.

"I believed you."

"Maybe he's sick," Nadia suggests, her attempt to rationalize the situation falling short in the face of our mounting concerns.