Chapter 11: Different Mistakes

-

-

As I sit in my car, my attention is momentarily drawn away from the incoming call on the radio by a heartwarming sight. My son, Lucas, strides towards my mom's house with a confident gait. Pride swells within me, overwhelming any other thoughts. He turns at the front door, catching my eye, and waves with a smile that echoes the joyous love between a mother and her child.

The moment lingers in my heart as I respond to Voight's call, "Go for Katie."

"Where you at?" Voight asks, his voice carrying a familiar gruffness.

"On my way in," I reply, glancing once more at the rearview mirror, ensuring Lucas is safely inside.

"Head to Chinatown," Voight instructs, and I reroute my journey accordingly, the GPS guiding me through the city's intricate veins. "Sending you the address."

"You got it," I confirm into the radio.

The cityscape transforms around me as I navigate toward Chinatown, the diverse scents of the neighborhood blending into a harmonious medley. The distant sounds of a vibrant community replace the silence of the suburban streets I've just left.

Chinatown emerges before me, alive with the energy of its residents and the allure of its cultural tapestry. Neon signs, adorned with intricate characters, cast a kaleidoscopic glow on the sidewalks. Parking near the designated address, I step out into the lively atmosphere, the city's heartbeat pulsating around me as I see the rest of my team gathered round together.

"Let's go," Voight commands, leading the way into the bustling casino. The air is thick with a heady mix of cigarette smoke, the faint aroma of various cuisines wafting from nearby restaurants, and the unmistakable buzz of a gambling establishment. Neon lights flicker, casting an otherworldly glow on the surroundings as we ascend to the upper level.

"Triad casino," Voight announces, and the grandeur of the place becomes apparent. Polished tables gleam under the ambient lights, and the murmur of hushed conversations blends with the melodic chime of slot machines.

"A lot of money rolls through here," Jay remarks, his eyes scanning the opulent setting.

"Feeling lucky?" I quip, a wry smile accompanying my question as we navigate through the area.

"Luckier than them," Jay replies, his gaze lingering on the lifeless figures scattered across the floor of another room.

"Over here," Antonio beckons, drawing our attention to a small figure on the ground. "They killed the damn errand boy too."

In the security room, we review the footage, witnessing the ruthless efficiency of the attackers. Dressed in all black with military precision, their masks conceal any identifiers. The chilling moment when they hesitate before shooting down the young boy plays out before us.