Chapter 22: Chicken, Dynamite, Chainsaw

-

-

"What's going on in there?" Erin's voice echoes up the stairs, drawing my attention away from the files spread out on the table, and I glance towards Voight's closed office door where he's hosting an unexpected meeting.

"Commander Fischer came in with Alderman Becks and his wife, then shut the door," Antonio updates, stirring his coffee absentmindedly. "Now you have all the information I have."

There is tension radiating from the office, evident in the stiff posture of Alderman Becks as he storms out, his wife trailing behind him with a worried expression. Fischer follows suit shortly after, his brow furrowed in concern. Antonio is then summoned into Voight's office, leaving the rest of us to speculate.

"Allison Becks," Antonio reappears ten minutes later, pinning a photo of a young girl on the board, signaling the start of a new case, "16 years old. Last seen with her friend Hayden Tannenbaum." He gestures towards another photo. "They were supposed to go back to the Becks' house after a study group. Neither showed."

"School records show that both of these girls are in all AP classes and got straight A's," I comment, skimming through the files Antonio provided. "Study group's plausible; maybe they are just held up somewhere."

"Allison's dad woke up to an email this morning from Uber saying she booked a car in his account last night," Antonio reveals, prompting a puzzled look from Alvin.

"What the hell's an 'Uber'?" Alvin's confusion is evident.

"It's like a taxi, but you get a black car," Antonio explains, and I barely suppress a chuckle at his simplistic description.

"So why didn't you say 'black car'?" Alvin shakes his head in disbelief.

"It's not just black cars, it's regular cars too. It's an app. You order it on your phone; it's got all your credit card information," I clarify, earning a blank stare from Alvin. "Never mind."

"I'm gonna call the company, see if I can get in touch with the driver," Adam declares, reaching for his phone.

"Good. And you call State's Attorney Kot; I want a warrant for both girls' cell phones and computers," Voight instructs Kevin.

"You got it, boss," Kevin acknowledges.

"Hey, they got GPS on these black cars?" Voight queries, directing the question to me.

"Yeah, all of them," I confirm, already retrieving my phone to access the necessary information.

"All right, I want--" Voight begins, but I interject before he can finish.

"Yep, I got it," I assure him, understanding his intentions.

"Yeah, all that stuff," Voight concludes, acknowledging my preemptive action.

"Thank you," Adam announces, bringing our attention back to his findings. "Hey, Sarge."

"Huh?" Voight responds absentmindedly.