Chapter 14: Turn The Light Off

-

-

I stand at the front desk with Lucas filling out a couple of forms before my dad arrives at the station to pick him up. Antonio arrives, and the atmosphere immediately brightens. He gives Lucas a playful fist bump, asking, "Hey, man, what you up to?"

"I have to go to school," Lucas whines, persistently lobbying for a day off. I've been trying to explain to him all morning that school isn't optional, but his determination knows no bounds.

"School's great, buddy. You get to see all your friends," Antonio encourages, trying to sway Lucas. However, the little guy crosses his arms, signaling his unwillingness to yield.

"Tony, it's my birthday on Saturday," Lucas slyly changes the subject, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Is it?" Antonio feigns surprise with a playful gasp. "What are you going to do?"

"I want to ride in a police car with the lights on it!" Lucas proudly announces, his enthusiasm infectious. "And Grandad asked Mom if we can all go out together."

"Really? Grandad Pat or just Grandad?" Antonio probes, genuinely intrigued by Lucas's plans.

"His real Grandad." My dad appears behind Lucas, ready to take him to school. As Antonio's phone rings, he steps aside to answer it.

"Have a good day at school, baby," I hug Lucas, briefly savoring the scent of his shampoo.

"We gotta move," Antonio interrupts, concluding his brief phone call.

My curiosity piqued, I inquire, "What's going on?"

"A massacre," he replies simply, and we briskly leave the building.

As we step into the crisp morning air, I hear Lucas' laughter behind us and my dad wishing me to be careful and stay safe fading into the background. The urgency in Antonio's stride tells me we're in for a challenging day ahead. 

*

The officer raises the red tape, granting us access to the crime scene at the bank. The acrid scent of blood hangs in the air. Dead bodies, marked by yellow number tags, are scattered across the floor, surrounded by pools of blood. A meticulous array of evidence, including clues and photographs, is being cataloged by the crime scene unit.

Voight takes charge, seeking an update. "All right, where are we at so far?"

Jay briefs him, having just finished talking to a paramedic. "The four guards are dead, and one guy's wounded."

"What'd they get?" Voight inquires, surveying the aftermath of the safe.

"Eight million in cash," I respond. "It was an international currency shipment from Nagano, Japan, headed to the federal reserve on Lasalle. They cleared customs fine, and then the money came here to be loaded onto an armored car."