Chapter Nine

"So according to the creepy guy popping out of every single shadowy corner in this mansion," Tiberius placed a tray full of breakfast on my desk, "You like egg whites and bacon that looks like it's still fresh from the pig, and of course a cup of chocolate milk - but I already knew that."

Looking up from my paperwork, I gave Tiberius a soft smile and slipped a piece of bacon into my mouth. It was cooked perfectly. There was just the right amount of crispiness, allowing me to flap it around like a little kid playing with their food. "He's not creepy."

"Yeah he is. He's always been creepy."

"Someone sounds jealous." I teased as I pulled my plate closer. The breakfast looked delicious. I was a little surprised that Tiberius could actually cook this well. I wasn't bad at all when it came to cooking, but having him help me cook sometimes seemed like pretty nice idea.

"I'm not jealous," he scoffed, "The guy just creeps me out. How does he even do it?"

"I don't know." I lied smoothly, "It's just something he's been doing since Trent took him in."

"It's weird."

"It comes in handy. It's good for when I want to ease drop on my brother." Or any other Alpha my curious little monster targets.

"I guess so."

"Oh don't be jealous. He's not the one who causes fireworks to explode inside my body with something as simple as a kiss."

"I'm not jealous, but I am glad I make you feel that way. Also," he grinned, "Makes me happy hearing you admit it."

"Really?"

"You really aren't the best at communicating any of your feelings...well besides anger."

"It was easier keeping you away from me. The urges were less painful."

"Urges?"

"You know what I mean." I growled.

"I know...I just wanted to hear you say it."

"Are you always this mature?" I teased.

"Oh, just wait till you live with me..." my comeback slipped from my tongue. Mother goddess why are you doing this to me!? Tiberius noticed my mode changed and dropped his smile, "You are going to live with me, right?"

"I...I can't leave my pack Tiberius." My body flinched at the sight of his face going stone cold. I knew he wasn't going to like his conversation. I'd been praying for years that we wouldn't have this talk; these were my people. Half of them depended on me as their Alpha. I can't abandon them.

"I'm your mate!" He growled softly.

"And I'm their Alpha."

"No you aren't! Titan is their Alpha." His words stung deep. Tiberius has known for years that I believe Titan was responsible for Trent's death; I vowed I would take my pack from him and change everything back to the way it was before my brother took control. Saying what he just said, showed me exactly whose side he was on.

"Titan is a murder." I snapped, my anger fueling my words, "He doesn't deserve to rule!"

"Come on Cara. Will you just drop the whole blame issue!? You have no proof that he killed Trent! I don't understand why you are so dead set on Titan being Trent's killer, especially when we both know what really killed him!"

An image of a man with glowing red eyes popped into my head.

He crouched over my brothers dead body, his hands covered in crimson blood as defeat registered in his eyes. He hadn't been able to save him. By the time he had made it to the room, it was already too late. The wolf had lost too much blood. With silent tears, we lock eyes. His lips move, only two words coming out, and then he's gone. Everything starts to fall apart around me as the darkness settles in. Rattling chains circle in my vision, my wolf beginning to break as something dark awakens within her.