Prologue

Prologue by  F.T. Vega

The time between winter and spring, humanity lost in sorrows, – spirits surviving. The drought of rage is now up to us. Snow slowly drifting away, hearkening to the sound of the wind. Birds already playing through the thin layered skin of ice. As if spring had frozen through the tracks of this heavy snow. Children afraid of playing outdoors,  -parents worried that they might catch the plague. Sniffing gently, as the scent of hot peppermint cocoa reaches our nostrils. Making us feel warm, holding tight to our pillows of feathers that we take shelter in from this coldhearted winter.

For a second we have forgotten, -so much silence out there. Where have people gone? We almost forgot that it is still snowing and no sound of the birds has returned. The wind is as loud as sonic booms, leaving my eyes like a pond, -my cheeks so cold as ice.

But there it was, a little boy watching through the window as the men and women marched through the blizzard that kept us all in a shelter. The boy wonders how brave these people were for the way they handled the situation. Their clothes were so thin and soft that the wind went right through, freezing their bodies. Weakening them as they kept moving forward, for every movement they made in the ground, filled with twelve inches of snow, the men and women did not give up. The boy saw courage in them, and he wanted to go out there, but he was ill and couldn't bare to take one hit of the blizzard. His parents were trying to protect him and keep him alive during this storm. Sadly, the power electricity was out all over the town they lived in, and their home would soon become ice frozen. The hour's passed and the fever grew stronger, the parents tuck the boy into bed, using their own body heat to keep him warm with one another. They pray to whoever hears it that have mercy with the life of their child. Fearlessly the men and women kept walking through the blizzard without the direction of where was north, south, east, or west they kept moving.

Twenty-three hours later...a distant screaming is heard through the woods. The rest of the town was silent, no sound of animals, no sound of traffic or people, the blizzard had passed. Leaving no sight of vehicles for the blizzard had covered the entire town along with other closer environment close by.

You might ask what happen to that little boy, and the men and women who were courageous walking through the blizzard? There was no sign of life left for madness came into our lives, bringing pain and sorrow. In dark times, people took extreme measures, in sad moments turning tears into bravery. They pray to whoever hears it that they have mercy with the life of their child.