The Moment I Knew

A few weeks had passed by since Rory and Logan had made things official and so far, things were going as well as either of them could have hoped. Logan was busy throwing himself into life at HPG while Rory was still attending Yale. Between them, they made a great team when it came to juggling the childcare along with Marta.

Rory was finding grad school and all the studying that came with a monumental effort and she was counting down the days to when it would all be over. She had been sat in the library at Yale all day and yet she felt like she had achieved nothing. Finally, by 6 pm she decided to throw in the towel and head home. She slammed her books shut and packed everything up before heading back to her car.

When she arrived back at their house, she opened the front door and dropped her bags next to it. She went into the living room to find Logan lying on the sofa with Lily watching a movie. She noticed that Lily, who was snuggling up to her daddy, was all bathed and ready for bed.

Logan looked up at her "Had a good day?" He could see from her face that things perhaps hadn't gone as well as she would have liked today.

"Not really," Rory said throwing herself down onto the sofa. "I don't see the point. I just feel like giving up. "

"Come on Ace, you're nearly at the finish line," he said as he rubbed her feet that she had placed on her lap.

"Yeah, I know" She sighed. "Anyway, let's not talk about it, I'm fed up of it all. I'm starving, what shall we do about dinner?"

"Dinner is all ready and on the stove. We've just got to get Lily into bed and then we'll eat. I just kept her up as I thought you might want to say goodnight to her." Logan said as Lily climbed off his lap and went to play with some toys on the floor.

Rory looked at Logan and she thought about how grateful she was that he was there to support her. It was the one real thing that she had missed when she was living alone with Lily – having someone there to come home to, someone you could talk to and someone who took care of everything when you were dead on your feet. She opened her mouth to say something but instead of words coming out, she let out a giant sob and immediately burst into tears.

Logan looked at her alarmed "Hey!" he said as he sat up to put his arm around her. "What's all this about? What's the matter?"

Rory brushed some of her tears away. "Sorry Logan, I'm just exhausted and am so lucky that I have you here. I couldn't do any of this without you."

"That's rubbish, you're one of the most capable people I know. Plus, you were doing it all before I came along. Where is all this coming from?"

"This" Rory threw her arms in the air "All of this. You made us a home even when I couldn't give you a definitive decision about us. You make me dinner when I am tired. You take care of Lily, you take such good care of her" she sniffed. "It's more than I ever expected of you. It's so much more than I deserve after the way I treated you." She added quietly.

"Ssh," he said as he wiped tears off her face. "This is crazy talk."

Rory shook her head. "You didn't have to do any of it."

"I do it because you're my family and I love you," Logan said.

"Logan, I love you too. I really do. I want you to know that."

"I do know that," he said as he kissed the top of her head.

"God, I'm sorry, what a mess I am. I'm just so emotional right now." Rory said wiping the last of her tears on her sleeve.

"Hey, Ace, why don't you go see your mom for a night? Leave Lily here with me and go have a Gilmore movie night with Lorelai. I think you could use some time out."