Dress to Impress

With only a few months to go before the wedding, Rory knew that one of the most important things that she really needed to get sorted out as soon as possible was her wedding dress. It hadn't really taken her long to decide on bridesmaids and had settled on having Lane, Paris, Honor and Steph and although they'd all wanted to help Rory with this important decision, their busy lives and conflicting schedules meant that it was just Honor and Steph that were able to go along with Lorelai when they all headed to New York for day of dress shopping.

They knew they were short on time when it came to ordering a dress as six months was normally the minimum lead time, however Rory was fast discovering that money talked, and in New York City, so did the Huntzberger name. Once the stores were fully aware of which family they were dealing with they were more than happy to bend over backwards to help Rory find the dress of her dreams. She did normally care to name-drop but Honor had pointed out that desperate times called for desperate measures!

Rory had spent some time doing some research on dresses and had found a boutique that carried some of the designers that she loved. When they arrived at the store, the sales assistant met them at the door and welcomed them all in.

"Hello, I am Bridget, and I'm going to help you find your dream gown," she said with a warm smile "You must be Lorelai?" she said holding her hand out to Rory.

"I am, but actually everyone calls me Rory" she smiled.

"Okay, Rory. Well, it's great to have you here. Shall we get started?" Bridget gestured for everyone to take a seat. "The first thing that we normally do with our brides is learn a little bit more about your wedding," she said. "Why don't you tell me a little bit about the groom and how you met."

Rory smiled. "His name is Logan and we have a little girl called Lily. We met at college a few years ago, Yale, which is where we are going to be having the ceremony. We've been apart for a little while but have recently got back together and live together in Hartford."

"'Sweet!" Bridget said "Yale is a beautiful campus. And the reception? Where will you be holding that?" she asked.

"We're having it in the ballroom at a brasserie just a couple of blocks away from Yale." Rory said "It's modern but with a very old New York kind of style. We really want the wedding to represent us but..." Rory paused, not sure how to say what she wanted to say without coming across a little elitist. "...we're both from quite prominent families locally so we are aware that there is a bit of an image to uphold - Logan's family more so as the Huntzbergers are in the media industry and very well known. Chances are we'll find our photo ending up somewhere in the press."

"Oh!" Bridget said, as she suddenly realised that she was dealing with quite a significant wedding and started to fully understand the importance of whatever dress they selected. "So is there anything, in particular, you have in mind?"

"Not really. I mean, I haven't really had a long time to think about it as everything has happened kind of fast." Rory smiled at Bridget. "I think I'd like to just try a few different silhouettes and see what suits me best if that's okay with you?"

Everyone had their own idea of what style Rory should have or what suited her best. Lorelai really wanted to see her baby girl in a big princess style ball gown, while Steph thought Rory would totally rock a figure-hugging mermaid style and Honor was sure that a classic A-line strapless style would suit her. Rory herself, she had no idea of what she wanted at all and she was completely open to suggestions.

"We can do this any way you want to" Bridget smiled "You're the bride after all. Now, always the difficult part...budget-wise what are we aiming for?"

Rory and Lorelai exchanged glances. Rory had never been comfortable when it came to spending and splurging. "Erm, there's no real budget. Whatever the right dress costs I guess" she said nervously.