Chapter 7 - What Happened Then: The Big Day

*Patricia's POV – the flashback*

I cannot contain the happiness I felt because Stuart agreed to marry me. Although we had an agreement that it will only be for a year, at least I have one year to make him fall for me. As soon as we reached Las Vegas, I convinced him to help me purchase the things we need for the wedding. I did not have to exert extra effort to make him agree with me because it was his father who pushed him to go with me.

"Which do you think fits me best?" I said cheerfully as I showed him the line of displayed wedding dresses.

"Pick any dress," he said adamantly, "it wouldn't matter anyway. It is not like it was a big wedding for you to really prepare for."

I sighed when I heard his answer. He was right, it was not a big wedding. Only our immediate family and some of our parents' business partners will be there. None of my friends will be coming due to personal reasons. I do not also know why he did not invited his friends, maybe he does not want them to know.

I decided to choose the simple white long mermaid cut dress and then headed to a bakeshop to purchase a wedding cake. I wanted to have a simple wedding cake so it would match my simple wedding dress but the bakeshop showed me different designs so I turned to him and asked, "Which design do you like?"

"Any of it will do," he commented, "they all tastes the same, anyway."

I was just glad that he did not speak too loud for others to hear. I chose a simple but classy 2-layer white fondant cake with edible gold pearl design. I was about to pay for it when I noticed Stuart checking his phone. It does not actually bothered me but I wondered why he has to go out of the shop just make a call. A thought came to mind but I shrugged it off and decided to believe that the call may be business related. He handled big accounts in his company, I guess that is the reason why he is always hot-tempered.

After paying for the cake and giving details about when and where it will be delivered, I followed Stuart. But I froze at his back when I heard him, "if you love me, come here and stop the wedding."

He noticed me and ended the call but I pretended that I heard nothing. I walked next to him and there was an awkward silence

"Where do we go next?" he broke the silence.

"Let's go back to the hotel," I answered plainly.

"Don't you need anything else for the wedding?" he asked.

I lost the zest to prepare for our wedding; it won't matter now. Why would I prepare for something I knew he would just simply destroy? I have endured cold treatment from him today and the thought that all my efforts for our wedding will turn to nothing simply took away my excitement about marrying him.

"I really need to go to the bathroom," I pretended, "I have to run along."

I did not wait for his answer because as soon as I turned my back on him, a tear fell on my cheeks. I walked fast as I could hoping that the person he was talking to could not make it to our wedding tomorrow. I know it is wrong to wish her bad luck but whoever that woman is, I hoped she get into something wrong which will forbid her from attending our wedding and ruining it.

_________________________

My mom was very excited when she came to my hotel room. She wanted to make sure that I looked my best on my wedding day. She checked on my wedding dress, wedding dress and even on the venue. It may not be a grand wedding but it has to look good because most of our guests are the business partners of our parents. It was even more like a business occasion rather than an intimate wedding.