Prologue

Note: The scribble of Jareth on this page belongs to my best friend. This is one of my first stories and I hope that you enjoy

All was quiet in the Goblin City, unlike its loud and rambunctious manner. Normally the city would be booming with mischief, but these past thirty-one years weren't normal. The kingdom had somewhat fallen in a way. It was a way that affected the king especially.

A tall, handsome, and slender man with messy dirty blonde hair was propped on an interesting throne. He looked as if he were deeply troubled by something. As he stared out at the night sky he started fidgeting with a crystal ball. This had continued for a while until a short and stocky goblin hobbled into the throne room.

        "Your majesty?" It piped up, earning a grunt from the king to let it know that he was listening. "Is there anything we can do for you?" The king turned towards the goblin and let the question rattle in his brain for a bit. "Poppit, is it?" He questioned the small creature. "Yes, Sire. That'd be me," he bowed and looked back up at him.

Jareth's P.O.V

      "I'd like for you to help me try to find... love," I answered. Poppit nodded and crawled onto my throne. Unlike most of the other goblins, I fully trusted this one. With a sudden snap of my fingers four more goblins appeared. They all gave me an eager look, they knew that I had a mission for them.

"What is it, Sire?" One asked in an excited hiss. I gave them my signature smirk, their mischievous king was somewhat back. "I have a very special duty for all five of you," I purred.  Without hesitation they gave a roar of cheer. For the first time in a very long time I chuckled. My kingdom was fixed, but my heart was still shattered. Unlike before I had high hopes that a maiden would help pick up the pieces.

       Poppit dragged me back to reality when I saw that he had the book. Its Beaten red cover with flaking gold lettering was showing its age. He had it held close to his chest as he stood next to the other assigned goblins. "Well, this is it," I thought to myself, it's now time to forget the past. I quickly rolled a crystal ball at them, and in a blink of an eye they were inside.

      I quickly snatched the crystal and pocketed it. Slowly I sashayed towards the window. Instantly I transfigured myself into a handsome barn owl and soared off into the night. There's no turning back now, the goblins were rallied up and ready.