Chapter 8

It's still light when we return back

It's still light when we return back. We spent all day in the woods but it paid off, we did manage to track and kill the two deer I wanted. I took down also three hares. Two I'll offer to the butcher, one we'll have hopefully for dinner.

Once we are done with hanging the deer in the cooler I leave Wade to finish skinning the last hare and go for Lana. Her car is here, so she must be around too.

"Hey, Lana!" I call for her as I enter the house.

I don't see her anywhere in our shared space so she's probably in her room. I go closer to it and raise a hand to knock but then I realize it's still bloody, so I let it fall again.

"Lana, are you there?"

The door cracks open and there she is.

"Yeah? What do you need?" She peeks out just a little at first but when she sees me her eyes go wide and she hurries to open the door fully.

"Oh my God, are you okay? What happened?" She sounds panicked and her eyes keep jumping all over my body. She makes a move as to touch me and then quickly pulls away. "I'm gonna call the hospital! You should sit down. I can take a look before they come..."

What the hell is she talking about?  Confused, I look down but then...Of course! She doesn't know we were hunting and I got blood all over me. I wave my hand a little to get her attention.

"I'm fine! It's not my blood."

Her eyes go even wider.

Oh fuck. "It's deer blood! I've been hunting today!" I wait for her to wrap her mind around it and I don't have to wait too long.

She takes a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Oh God, don't do things like this to me. You could leave a note or something. Don't you take some spare clothes with you? It can't be comfortable to walk around like this..."

Right, I forgot, she's a nervous talker.

"Hey." I try to interrupt but she's not stopping so I raise my voice a bit. "HEY! Calm down, nothing happened."

I watch her getting herself under control when a thought comes to me. "How the fuck are you going to be a nurse when you get all worked up over a bloody person?"

She shuts her mouth tightly for a moment. "I am not getting all worked up over a bloody person! Excuse me for not expecting my new roommate to show up at my door covered in blood."

Okay, time to change the subject!

"I didn't come to argue, okay? I just wanted to show you something." I turn to walk out and motion for her to follow. "Come on." But when I turn to check I see she hasn't budged from her spot so I stop too.

"What did you want to show me?" she asks, she doesn't seem nervous though just confused so I motion for her again to walk with me.

"You'll see, come on."