Chapter 29

Wade's house is empty, just like Clyde said

Wade's house is empty, just like Clyde said. I looked in every room, nothing but the usual mess. When I turn to leave though I see something. There is a note on the inside of the front door. Clyde must have overlooked it-

"Go home and check your door again."

-or it wasn't here yet when he was. Fuck. I get into my truck and speed back home as fast as the car lets me. When I get there, the door is wide open and there is another note.

"Come to see us. We are in your usual spot. Come alone."

My usual spot? He's had to of been watching us longer than I thought. He's had to seen me kill. I haven't killed anyone in a while. And the notes, the one in Wade's house seems like he was watching me when I was leaving my house. He has to have help, so I have to watch for more than one person. He's not that smart though. He's making me meet him in my territory. That's in fact plain stupid.

I take my hunting stuff, park the truck in another spot than I usually use and make my way in circles around the meeting place, to make sure no one is waiting somewhere in the trees as a backup. It takes me a little while to check the perimeter but there is no one. Why would he come without the backup if he has one? I'm nearing my spot, that is usually a place of relaxation for me, and I'm anything but relaxed. I haven't been here that many times while it was still daylight in the past few years. But it doesn't matter, I could move around this woods with my eyes closed.

As I'm getting closer I see why he doesn't need the backup. Wade's not here. He doesn't have him here. I'm really trying to keep my head clear now. I need to be smart about this, I can do this! I'm about ten feet from them when I decide to let my presence be known by snapping a branch under my feet.

Paul's head turns in my direction and there is no cheery smile on his face, only corners of his mouth lifted a bit when he sees me. He has a gun in his right hand. I'm keeping my crossbow pointed down, but ready. My eyes sway to the left, to the two figures, each tied to one of the trees here. Both gagged. One of them is Lana, she looks terrified, the other one is hard to tell because it's a mess of blood and dirt, groaning, otherwise not moving. But it's too small for it to be my brother. I can't do anything until I know how to get him back.

"Where's Wade?"

"He's alright. He's safe, for now," he says with a pointed look. "And if you're reasonable, he'll stay that way. I just wanna talk to you."

"I am very reasonable considering you kidnapped my brother." He thinks only Wade is his leverage. He doesn't know what Lana means to me. How could he? And I'm not going to give him more cards to play with.

"Let's talk then." He's eying my crossbow but doesn't ask me to put it away, I wouldn't even if he did. His eyes shift back to the two people by his side. "I hope I did okay? I wasn't sure about the legs." When I don't comment he goes on. "You know, when my friend called me, saying that our mutual friend here lives in this town, I was glad. Glad that I'd get to finish what I started. I bet you know how that feels like." He pauses again as if waiting again for my input. I don't know what he expects me to say? I always finish what I start. "Anyway, I came here all excited. And I found you. I felt like a got a sweet reward on top."