Chapter 26

The next day wasn't much better, I wanted to just take the jack and smash the damn car

The next day wasn't much better, I wanted to just take the jack and smash the damn car. And there was the stupid party in the evening. I don't really wanna go but I already told Wade I would. if I don't show up he'll just come to my house and drags me out anyway. Maybe he wants a backup in case he'll piss someone off and that someone would be stupid enough to start a fight, I don't know. In any case, I decided to get Lana to go with us. If nothing else she'll keep me calm enough, hopefully. She goes to the college, it's her party anyway. So here we are, in the middle of it.

"I'm not much of a party girl anyway. Why can't you go alone?"

"Because I'd rather for you to come with us. I saw you at a party before."

"Yeah, well that wasn't my idea. I just got dragged there."

"So, what you are saying is, that I shouldn't ask and just drag you with me?"

"No! I'm saying that I don't want to go and that the last person dragging me there was an asshole for doing it. Because if you search your memory you'll remember I ended up sitting alone."

"Why would I ask you to come and then leave you. Come on! I'm gonna be bored to death! Wade just disappears on me to fuck somebody and leave me to watch all the assholes there and to drink alone. Come with me, we can stay on the bed of the truck."

"So you want to go to a party to sit with me on the bed of your truck? What's the point in going there? We can sit on the bed of your truck in front of the house just as easily."

"Yeah, we could, but I promised Wade I'll pick him up and take him there."

"Why? If you don't wanna be there?"

"Because... That's just what we do." I shrug helplessly. It's actually pretty hard to convince someone to go somewhere I, myself don't want to go.

But she sighs and nods. "Okay then. Hey, we could pack some snacks and make a date out of it." She smiles at me. I can't tell if she's serious or if she's teasing.

"We could?" I'm not sure if I'm confirming the idea or asking either.

"Sure we can. Just wait, I'll get something." Alright, looks like I have a date tonight. She's moving around the kitchen counter packing some things in her bag, and after few minutes she turns to me with a big smile on her face. "Should I get a bottle of wine too?"

"If you want. I'm gonna drink beer though. It's in the truck already."

"Screw the wine then. I'll have a beer too." She looks inside her bag to check the content again and walks to me. "Ok, we can go now." And so we do.

The ride is quiet, that is until we pick up Wade.

"Oh hey, sweetheart!" He smiles at Lana when he sees her in the truck. "I didn't know you were coming. Wanna introduce me to some of your girlfriends? It would make my night much easier." His grin gets impossibly big and he sounds like he started to party awhile ago.