[Sixteen]

CHEERLEADERS AND BOYFRIENDS

_

"Okay, I didn't even wear heels, how are my feet hurting?" Alex groaned as she and Dean sat at one of the tables, her feet propped into his lap as he gently rubbed out the knots.

"I'm starting to think shoes just aren't your thing." Dean teased with a smile.

"I think you're right. You think I'll be shunned if I just wear my duck slippers around everywhere?"

"You have duck slippers?"

"Their names are Lucky and Daffy."

Dean laughed. "Lucky Duck and Daffy Duck?"

"I named them when I was like eight, don't judge me." Alex teased.

Dean grinned. "Never." he said, looking down at his watch. "So, do you want to go ahead and go?"

"Oh, crap, you're bored. I'm sorry, let's go, right now." Alex said, pulling her feet from his lap and slipping her shoes onto her feet.

"No, no, I'm not bored. I just thought we had some time left and maybe we could go get some coffee somewhere. Talk, walk, just the two of us, you know?" Dean offered with a shrug.

"Okay, sure. That sounds nice." Alex smiled as she got to her feet.

"No, no," Dean said, placing his hands on her shoulders and gently pushing her back onto her chair. "Stay. I'll go get the coats." he smiled before walking away to grab them.

Alex smiled after him, turning to see Vanessa hovering over her.

"God!" she exclaimed. "You scared me."

"How the hell did you get him to go to the dance with you?" Vanessa snapped, raising her eyebrows.

"Oh, this was my ransom for his spontaneous kidnapping." Alex rolled her eyes. "It was nothing, Vanessa. I just asked him, that's all."

"And he said yes? To going with you?" Vanessa scoffed. "I find that hard to believe."

"That sounds like a personal problem." Alex retorted, raising her eyebrows.

The brunette rolled her eyes. "Very funny."

"Look, I'm sorry if you can't handle me going to the dance with someone I like and who actually likes me back when you couldn't even get a date of your own," The blonde snapped, making Vanessa take a half step back. "But I'm not going to let you ruin my night. Everyone is having a good time, why do you have to ruin it?"

"At least I'm facing reality, sweetheart." Vanessa said, tipping her head to the side. "Do you honestly think that he would want to be with someone like you? I hate to break it to you, dear, but you and him? It's just a little fantasy." she said, folding her arms over her chest.