[Twenty Seven]

PERK UP, BUTTERCUP_

PERK UP, BUTTERCUP
_

Alex looked up from the counter when she heard the diner door open, smiling gently over at her aunt as she came through the door. "Well, hello. Coffee?"

"Please." Lorelai grumbled, sitting down at the counter and pressing her head into her palm.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked, her brow furrowing as she poured her aunt a large cup of coffee and set it down in front of her.

"I was almost crushed by a paper mache star. How was your day?"

"Yikes." Alex hissed. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just in a mood. I don't know why." Lorelai sighed, taking a long sip of her coffee.

"Hey, perk up, buttercup. It'll get better." Alex smiled, placing her hand gently over her aunt's.

Lorelai smiled gently. "Thanks, angel." she said, giving her niece's hand a soft squeeze. She sighed. "I don't know what's wrong with me. This is a beautiful festival that's happening! I should be enjoying it."

Luke snorted from the other end of the counter, entering the conversation. "It's a crazy festival about two lunatics who may or may not existed and a myth that may or may have happened. It's stupid."

"Wow. Luke, you are full of anger, and hatred, and self loathing, and I gotta tell you, I am loving it!" Lorelai said, throwing a hand into the air.

"Awe, it's nice to see some people sharing the hate." Alex rolled her eyes, patting Luke's back.

"Hey, tomorrow, if you're not doing anything, I plan on despising anyone who says, 'Hey, how's it going?'" Lorelai said, raising her eyebrows at the man.

"You're on."

Alex rolled her eyes and looked up when the diner door opened, a woman with brown curls and a denim jack entering. Luke's eyes landed on her and his lips parted in surprise.

The woman smiled at him. "Hey, how's it going?"

"Too easy." Alex whispered to Lorelai, who elbowed her gently and bit back a laugh.

Luke spoke up. "Rachel."

Alex and Lorelai's eyes both went wide.

"Rachel?" The blonde girl asked, raising her eyebrows at the woman. "You're Rachel?"

"I'm Rachel." The woman smiled, waving gently at the younger girl.

Alex met Lorelai's gaze and they exchanged a look. They both knew about Luke's relationship with Rachel, how she just up and left without a goodbye, or a note, or anything. It was a really sensitive topic for the man, and now here she was, standing in his diner.

Alex cleared her throat softly, breaking the now uncomfortable silence. "Hi!" she chirped, smiling politely. "I'm Alex. This is Lorelai." she said, nudging her aunt's arm.