20. A happy ending?

Wendy had been thinking about what Peter said all night. Would he really give up this whole life for her? Would he really give up being Peter Pan for her? She wasn't so sure.

Carefully she climbed up the ladder through the think tree trunk and stepped out into the moonlit meadow.

"Peter?" She called out softly, and just a few seconds later the silhouette of the boy she loved landed in front of her.

It wasn't any doubt about it any more, after all that happened she knew, just the sight of him calmed her, yet made her heart race and a small but loving smile spread over her lips.

"I— I just wanted to see so that you're okay" she stuttered as he stepped closer.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just a lot to think about.." he trailed

"I—" "Wendy" they spoke at the same time.

"I have something to tell you" he rambled and she nodded and said "yeah me too"

"Alright ladies first" he said, remember the manners that she'd taught him.

"Okay when.." Wendy went silent

"Yes?" Peter urged

"Peter I—" "I love you" she seamed scared by her own words and was about to take a step back, but Peter reached out and hooked one arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

She was so close she could see the specks of yellow in his green eyes and the freckles on his nose. For a second he seemed confused by his own actions and Wendy was scared he'd let go of her but then, slowly and yet confidently as if he'd made up his mind he whispered "I love you too"

Then he cupped her cheek in the palm of his hand and kissed her carefully yet desperately as the world seemed to dissolve around them.