[ XVIII ] Deal with the Devil

"Then we have an agreement." The Queen was smiling, extending her slender hand outwards. Julian and Emma shared a look before he reached out and shook it.

"Excellent. Your graciousness will not be forgotten." Julian inclined his head slightly and stepped back, "We will need to formulate a plan."

"Precisely, however I do have rather pressing matters to attend to in my court." She reached into her dress and pulled out a small bell, "Take this and ring it in three days' time. You are expected to be prepared to infiltrate the Unseelie Court then, no sooner and no later."

"Three days? Are we going to have an army here?" Emma interjected, worry lacing her tone.

"You will have what I provide you. And you are to provide aid as well; work together and prepare." The Queen snapped, blue eyes hard.

Emma swallowed hard, "My lady, since you know all, I'm sure you are aware of the curse. We are meant to be separated."

"And yet you are here together now?" Her eyebrow raised.

"This was a – special circumstance. It was not intended, but it was necessary. I am sure you understand." Julian added.

The Queen considered it for a moment, her gaze flicking between the two young Shadowhunters. Emma noticed for the first time that they were alone in the chambers, none of her court were present. Before she had a chance to consider the fact too much, the Queen spoke once again, "What if I told you there was a Faerie Enchantment that would prevent you from insanity?"

Julian's eyes sparked, "Do not speak so vaguely with us, my queen. Is there?"

"Yes."

"Will it keep the curse from progressing?" Julian challenged.

The Queen scoffed, "Julian Blackthorn, what good would you two be to me if you were dead?"

Before he could respond, another Faerie entered the room; one of her court Emma presumed. The man was in less armor and more of a long tunic that was embroidered with golden leaves. He had hair the color of chocolate that fell in waves to his shoulders and sharp facial features. What caught Emma's attention, however, was the golden circlets in his hands.

"These are enchanted by Seelie magic. The wearers of the bands are immune to the effects of mental insanity. It is well known that humans are prone to become trapped inside their own minds easily while in the courts, so charms such as these are beneficial. After our bargain is complete, these will be returned to me." The Queen picked up the bands and handed them to both of the Shadowhunters. Julian looked at the thin gold circlet before sliding it carefully next to his sea glass bracelet. Emma watched him the entire time, not moving to put hers on until her parabatai nodded to her. She slid the bracelet up her arm; she expected to feel something different, but there was no change. Nothing but the cold metal touching her skin as the faerie metal molded to her upper arm. The Seelie Queen smiled and bowed slightly at the waist before turning and moving back towards her chaise lounge. "I will hear from you in three days, be prepared. Sylvia will lead you back to New York. Good day, Shadowhunters."

"Thank you, your grace." Julian and Emma both bowed before following a blonde nixie back out of the Chambers and into the halls of the court. A cold feeling filled Emma's chest as she followed behind Julian leaving the eerie air of the Queen's chambers behind, closing her eyes and focusing on nothing but Julian's fingers circling her wrist as they walked further from the darkness.

***

"Who are you?" Cristina shouted, her grip on her butterfly knife tight as the faerie sauntered closer.