[ XXV ] The Lost Get Found

I'm BAAAACKKK! Thank you all for the well wishes and love sent my way! I had an amazing time, I always love experiencing different countries and cultures But I am back now, so here is a long-overdue update! And don't worry, more will be coming soon on a more consistent schedule.

Ty and Julian were walking side by side, Mark trailing close behind as they made their way through the winding streets of the city. Alicante was nearly a maze for people who were not accustomed to the city, but Julian had spent his time acting as head of the Los Angeles Institute memorizing the layout. Arthur Blackthorn had grown up there and knew the city like the back of his hand so Julian made it a priority to learn; yet another weight to his load at only twelve years old. He didn't dwell on it now, walking in near silence toward the Hall of Accords in the heart of the city.

Mark was the one to break the silence, his gaze following the glass towers towards the sky. "It truly is a sight to behold. It has been years since I have set foot in the City of Glass. I nearly forgot how magnificent it is."

"I don't know why they call it the Glass city, the towers are made out of adamas which is more of an ore, really. Not glass at all." Ty said, kicking a rock along the cobblestone walkway as he walked. He still had his headphones wrapped around his neck even though normal technology didn't work in Idris. The feel of them was comforting and so Julian didn't question it.

Julian did, however, roll his eyes, "It's just because they look like glass. It's a nickname, not meant to be literal."Ty simply shrugged with a noncommittal huff.

They had reached the Hall and were led through the corridors to the Consul's office by a group of Clave guards. When they reached the tall mahogany door, the three of them nodded and entered with Julian at the head of the group. The room was massive, high ceilings that reflected the light from the large window behind the desk. Despite its large size, it was relatively empty; a large mahogany desk with two chairs positioned in front of it and a few stuffed armchairs in the corners of the room. Jia was standing behind the desk but the two chairs in front of it, to Julian's surprise, were not empty. At the sound of the door opening, Jace stood from his chair and Clary turned to smile softly at them.

"Jace, Clary?" Julian couldn't hide the surprise from his voice as he walked forward. He hadn't seen, or even heard, from them since the night before the Seelie Court when Clary had fainted. "Are you alright?"

"Well, seeing as we are here and not dead or in some demon realm, I'd say we're doing better than usual." Jace winked, Jia rolling her eyes from the desk where she returned to her seat.

Jia motioned to two guards to bring extra chairs in, "Julian, Tiberius, Mark, please have a seat." They did as instructed, all five of them now surrounding the desk in front of the Consul. She looked pointedly at Mark, "I was not aware he would be joining us for this meeting. Either of them." Her gaze then moved over to Ty, making him shift uncomfortably in his chair.

Julian nodded, ever polite as he addressed her, "Consul, with all due respect this is Mark's blood sister. And Tiberius is old enough to be involved in these decisions. This is a family matter to us."

"As well as a political matter in the eyes of the Clave." Jia added sternly. She stands now, pacing back and forth behind the desk, "Johnathon and Clarissa have brought news from their assignments to the Faerie Courts and the Spiral Labyrinth regarding the blight and the sickness ailing the Warlocks of the Downworld." She gestured at the two heads of the New York Institute, urging them to speak. Jace rose from his seat but Jia did not sit down; she rested against the window, too restless to sit still.

"As you know, the Warlocks have been suffering with some sort of sickness. The cause of it was unknown, so naturally they brought us to look into it." Jace was smirking and continued, ignoring Jia's stern gaze fixed on him, "Tessa Gray, being part Shadowhunter was affected less than the others, so she has been helping us. While in the Seelie Court, we found some small patches of gray matter. Everything in these patches was – dead. We went to investigate the Unseelie Court and found-" His bright expression had faded and he looked to Clary before continuing. "We found more patches there. But they covered entire fields. When Tessa was in any close proximity, she grew weaker and more sick. She couldn't even enter the Unseelie Court. "

"So that must be where it originates?" Jia concluded. Julian sat still and listened, trying to hide any indication that this was information they already somewhat knew from being in the Unseelie Court when they should not have been.

"Yes, but it is spreading. The blight sucks magic, most of the natural world in Faerie is in some way enchanted, which is why the ground looks like it is dying. However, there is a chance the blight can spread into the human world where we cannot see it, making the Warlocks even more sick. And although Shadowhunter runes are not magic, their power is drawn from Angelic power. This means if it spreads outside of Faerie Lands, Shadowhunter runes would not work – leaving us as helpless against demons as mundanes." Jace continued.

"Is that what happened to Clary last time we saw you?" Ty asked suddenly. Julian's stomach lurched, not wanting to give away to the Consul that Jace and Clary were helping them break laws, but whether it bothered them or the Consul or not, they didn't show it.

Jace shook his head, "No, that was – something else. Clary and I have more Angelic blood in our veins than most Shadowhunters, so the blight didn't affect out runes. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't if it continues to spread."

Julian watched Jace's expression flash with worry for a split second at Ty's question, but the expression was gone as fast as it showed up. Julian spoke now, assessing the situation, "So this blight is originating from the Unseelie Court, and poses a threat." Jia nodded, knowing exactly where he was going with this. "So then have you made your decision regarding my request?"

"Yes, Julian, I have. You claim Helen Blackthorn has a ring enchanted by Faeries that allows access into the Faerie realms undetected?" He nodded curtly, "I was prepared to deny your request, seeing it as merely another one of your pleas to bring your sister back." Julian felt a hot flash of anger surge through him, even though Jia had always been on his side regarding Helen's exile. The difference, however, was that Jia Penhallow was Consul and had her hands tied in regards to what she wants and what the Clave demands. Despite his temper flaring, Julian remained still and waited for her to continue. "However, if this is true, it could give us an upper hand on stopping this blight before it starts. Once it gets to human lands and we don't have access to runes, we won't be powerful enough to stop the Unseelie King. We can only hope that the reason he hasn't done so already is that he doesn't know how. Yet. It only buys us time."

Ty and Mark were listening, but neither of them seemed to register the second half of what she said. Mark's eyes had already lit up, bright orbs reflecting the sun streaming through the far window, "Does this mean Helen can return?"

Jia nodded, but said nothing. No attention was on her anymore, all eyes were facing the tall door of the office that had just creaked open where a tall, blonde Shadowhunter stood. The pointed tips of her ears poking out above her light curls.

All was silent for a few moments, no one wanting to break the silence until her name fell from Mark's lips in a gasp, "Helen-"