Alice

Alice woke up to the sound of her sister, Hendrika, snoring beside her. Both ebony-skinned women had long black hair. Hendrika's was neatly arranged in corn rows, while Alice's was a mess. Of the two, Alice was the older. With a quick, determined motion, Alice shoved her sister off the bed, startling her awake.

"What was that for?" Hendrika asked. She spoke with a Nigerian accent and an annoyed tone.

Propping herself up on her elbow, Alice retorted, her voice carrying a similar but subtler accent, "You have your own room and bed, Hendrika. Why invade mine?"

Hendrika sat up, rubbing her eyes. "I had to tell you something, but you were asleep."

"What is it?" Alice inquired, her curiosity piqued despite her initial annoyance.

"Our parents got in contact with Devara," Hendrika began, "and he let them talk to me for a while. They'd like to reconnect with you."

Alice's body stiffened at the mention of their parents. She took a deep breath and tried to mask the emotions bubbling inside her. "First question. Why were you in contact with Devara?"

"We teamed up to take down a bugbear lich," Hendrika explained, her eyes brightening with a hint of excitement.

Alice shook her head, not quite understanding the jargon. "I don't know what that means, but I have other, more important questions. Like, how did you make contact?"

"We were playing a game. He found me. We spent some time talking before he suddenly had to go take care of something important."

Concern etched across Alice's face. "Does his sister know?"

"No. If she did, she'd already be here, and I'd have already killed her," Hendrika stated matter-of-factly.

"Next question. Why would our parents want to reconnect with me?" Alice asked, cautiously anticipating the answer.

"Because you're their daughter."

"Is that what they said?" Alice questioned, her skepticism apparent.

"Not exactly. They asked for Rashid."

"Then they haven't changed. If they can't accept who I really am, I'm not interested," Alice declared, her body tense with lingering hurt.

"Maybe you just need to explain it to them," Hendrika suggested, her hand reaching out to comfort her sister. "They said they want to try to understand."

"They disowned me and threatened to castrate me," Alice replied, her voice shaky with old wounds.

"They said they're sorry," Hendrika offered, her eyes filled with empathy.

"Something like that isn't so easily forgiven."

Understanding her sister's struggle, Hendrika nodded and said, "I can't really blame you."

"I'd like to talk things out with them. Really. But I need more time."

"It's been two years," Hendrika reminded her gently.

"Believe me, it hurts. I'll figure things out when I'm ready."

"I'll support whatever decisions you make," Hendrika reassured her.

"Thank you," Alice whispered, the weight of her sister's understanding bringing a sense of comfort.

Hendrika shifted the conversation, expressing her longing for the familiar life they had left behind. "I'll be honest, I miss the fighting back home. I know our parents wanted us to fight. But wherever you go, I'll follow. Even if it means opening a pub in the capital of a country that wants us dead."

Alice smiled, appreciating her sister's loyalty, but she couldn't resist offering a word of caution, "Just remember not to use lethal force if you don't need to."

"Fine. But who knows? Maybe after this business fails, we can go back home and reignite the revolution," Hendrika suggested excitedly.

"That's the spirit, I suppose."

"I try to be optimistic," Hendrika admitted with a grin.

"You don't have much faith in this, do you?" asked Alice.

"Not at all. But maybe I'm wrong. We should get ready to open."

"What time is it?"

"About two o'clock."

"I'm going back to sleep," Alice grumbled, though she knew her sister wouldn't let her.

"No, you're not. You said opening day has got to be perfect. I'll make sure it is."

"That can wait about four or five hours."

"I thought you wanted me to help with your hair and makeup. And what about that frilly outfit? And then we need to inspect the place, and clean it, and—"

"Fine!" Alice grumbled.

"I'm putting everything I can into this because I want you to know when this business venture of yours falls apart that it's your fault," Hendrika teased, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Not the greatest motivational speaker, are you?" Alice chuckled, the tension between them easing.

"Not at all. Now let's get to work!"