Prologue Part 3

Criticisms and general comments are always welcomed, as are votes and comments (They make my day!). I know the direction of the story may seem strange, and you'll probably wonder why the characters are the way they are, I'll give you some reasons.

a) I can't seem to capture the essence of Oberyn which is annoying because the series portrayed him in a memorable and lovable light that I wanted to reflect that in this.

b) Everything is happening for a reason here, I want to provide another view of the characters you may not have and everything is heading to where I want it to.

c)There will most likely be a sequel to this book and I don't know whether to split it into a trilogy or just two books; I'm leaning more towards a trilogy because of the ending I have planned.

Repeating the authors note from the last few chapters just to make it clear!

Thanks again!! 

Prologue Part 3

Rhaegar was going to war, a battle of all battles - the rightful against the usurper. His heart leapt in his throat as they dressed the armour tight to him, the obsidian black bold against the pale of his hair and skin. It wasn't either that caught his attention but the display of wealth that littered his chest; a single red sigil encrusted with rubies - the three headed dragon. His was every bit brave as he stood opposite the mirror, indigo eyes shining dangerously.

He hated this, the idea of killing others for the safety of his family, but it was necessary. He had to sacrifice himself to save them all; his mother, his wife, his children, and even his lover. Rhaegar needed to die for them, to save them from the Mad King. He gripped his helmet to his side; the red, orange, and yellow tassels streaming down like fire. He would begin to ride at dawn, meeting the Baratheon Usurper at crossing.

A small, hovering body caught his attention as he glanced over himself again, the small girl looking up with identical eyes. She was quiet for a moment, lost in the world of Knights and Dragons as she stared at Rhaegar, his armour having a dangerous safety to it. Rosie was plainly dressed compared to him, a simple red shift gracing her body with wild silver curls as she watched him; her Knight in Shining Armour.

Rosie approached coyly before raising her hands up, Rhaegar quick to lift her within his arms. She was still small, smaller than most 6 year olds her age but he didn't mind, he loved how small she was. He brushed at her hair, quiet tenderness between the two. She was growing to grow up beautiful, and wise, and strong; he thought as he watched her, her hands flying to play with strands of his hair. "Do you have to go?" She asked quietly, her eyes flashing from the hair to his face and back again, almost as though she was embarrassed.

Rhaegar nodded to his daughter before sitting down, taking her with him. "Yes, little one." He said softly, keeping them still. "Daddy needs to keep you safe, don't you want that?" Rosie's eyes sprung with tears as she shook her head, burying her face in his neck to conceal the tears. Rhaegar brushed softly, his heart breaking as she shook. He could feel the sadness well up, rippling its way across his heart before bouncing across his body, tugging her tight. "Shh, shh." He hushed, rocking slightly to soothe her. He loved her like he did his other children, but their loneliness had brought them closer.

"I'll be okay Rosie, and when I come back I'll show you; I'll never leave you again." He said, knowing every word was a lie. She nodded, the tears not stopping as she gasped for air, working herself into a state. "Here." He whispered, plucking the ruby necklace from his armour, the small cord quick to slip free of the metal's grip. Rosie sat up as he tied the necklace around her neck, the ruby glinting from her neck in the soft flicker of the light. The two watched as the flame seemed to lick on the ruby, before looking to each other. "Now, anytime you feel alone, look to the ruby and remember I'm there; you don't ever have to feel alone again." Rhaegar whispered, running the ruby through his fingers before letting go. It stood out against the red of her dress, a jewel for a beauty.