AshleighParkers Presents: All Tides Lost, A Veil Of Romance Novella

Hey guys! Welcome back to the Wattpad Block Party! How's the summer going so far? I'm Ashleigh aka AshleighParkers on Wattpad and this is my second time participating in the Wattpad Block Party! Special shout out to the one and only Kelly Anne Blount for taking the time and effort in putting this event together and for giving me the opportunity to be a part of it again. I'm truly honored!

This time around, I wanted to write an contemporary summer romance so that we could all enjoy while kicking back on the beach, and I saw a prompt from a contest here on Wattpad and thought "This is perfect. I have to write this!"

So, without further adieu, I present "All Tides Lost", the romantic tale of James Hilton how this unexpected spark of love changed his entire life.

~~~

James' POV

James' POV

        Life had been a pattern for me - it always has been. No matter what I always found myself in an everlasting cycle of partying, drinking and meaningless sex. I lived my life on the edge to please the people around me, to keep up with the crowd. They expected nothing less from a Hilton. The more I thought deeply about it, the more I began to realize the burden of it - the burden I was born into.

I could never be happy in this life, but I had no choice but to bare it. I was happy once, but that changed last year. Good riddance anyway, I begrudgingly thought. I thought I'd be happy after her, but the realization hit me hard. Happiness was for the fortunate, not for the Hiltons.

With my eyes trained on the prickling fire before me and the sound of the wood roosting underneath, I took a sip from the beer bottle in my hand, already used to its bitter taste. For the last thirty minutes, I sat on a log by the campfire with my bare feet sunken in the sand and nothing but empty thoughts plaguing my mind. I leaned forward, my elbows on my knees and the bottle hanging from my fingertips by the brim. The cool night air brushed against my forearms and the calming sound of the waves crashing against the shore hit my ears.

Well, along with these idiots shouting at each other.

"I told you that once we had it, she wouldn't be a problem anymore!" Douglas shouted.

"She wants to get in your head, man. It's what women do! Just give her the damn thing!" Troy, my best friend, retorted. Douglas was Troy's cousin, and we always hung out together and being that we were the same ages, we didn't mind his company. Even though he can be a world-class douche most of the times. People magazine called us the 'Triple Threat'. Scoffing, I shook my head at yet another burden of being apart of this family - the publicity.

With a sigh, I rose to my feet, threw the last bit of liquid down my throat, and dropped the empty bottle at my feet. Stuffing my hands in the pockets of my khaki shorts, I looked out, stared at the endless stretch of water; it was a place I always found peace.