12. The importance of body language (continued)

Ursula obeyed at once. Her surroundings ceased to interest her; Siddikah's voice was nothing like she had imagined it would be and she had to see the face to which that voice belonged. She threw herself into the gaping maw of the extinct monster.

Siddikah met her near the entrance and smiled as if greeting an old friend. Ursula slipped her hood down and bowed quickly in deference, then looked up at the Squid Witch like a wide-eyed child. She was of advanced age, yet still exquisite: lean, tall, and commanding. She had fine, high cheekbones and a delicately-lined face. Siddikah's eyes were a singular shade of reddish brown. Mahogany hair tumbled past her prominent collarbone and covered her small, bare breasts. Her arms were compact ribbons of muscle and beneath her tiny belly stemmed ten maroon limbs, two noticeably longer than the others.

Siddikah laughed. It was a tinkling, silver sound. "Take off your cape so I can see you too. It's only fair, child." Ursula did so wordlessly. "Now spin around."

Ursula meekly swiveled three hundred and sixty degrees, her shoulders collapsing forward.

"Aren't you a pretty plum? Stand up straight now. What's your name, plum?"

"Ursula."

"Hmm, yes. I believe I've heard of you a time or two. Ursula of Atlantica. A healer, no?"

Ursula nodded, flabbergasted. "I've heard about you all my life," she gushed. "What's a plum?"

Siddikah released more crystalline notes of laughter. "Oh, never mind that. Why are you here, Ursula?"

"I've heard you do Transformations, and I'll probably need one soon."

"Indeed I do. What exactly are you seeking, and why?"

"To become a mermaid so I can be compatible with the one I love."

"Your quarry is a merman?"

"Yes."

"Ursula, how old are you?"

"Eighteen."

Siddikah meandered away from the entrance and Ursula followed her. "Given your age and line of work, one would presume you didn't need a lecture about the basics of anatomy. You and your merman are plenty compatible. Reproduction is out of the question, of course, but any amorous activity you can dream up will work out just fine."

Is she toying with me? Ursula wondered. "Of course I know that! I happen to be in love with a prince. And we likely can't be together the way we want to be if I remain a cecaelia."

Siddikah's face hardened. "Which one of the Atlantican princes do you fancy?" she demanded.

"You know about them?" Ursula was astonished.

"Of course I do! I've got eyes and ears in all sorts of places. I keep up with things."

"Prince Triton. I more than 'fancy' him."

"Ahh, the youngest." Siddikah relaxed. "Very good. But damselfish, have you really thought this through? How long have you known him? And are you certain he feels the same about you?"

"I've not known him long at all, but we feel strongly about each other. He's even hesitating to aim for the throne because of how it'll thrust him into the public eye and complicate our—"

"Aim for the throne?! What's this about?" Siddikah interjected.

She listened eagerly as Ursula told her all about Nepp's last wish and the Protocol. Crazily enough, she trusted the witch, and she had a feeling Siddikah would find out sooner or later anyway.