14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man (continued)

Ursula was last to arrive in the drawing room. Ozmoses and Aether hovered side-by-side and the royal family formed a loose semi-circle in front of them. Ephram the Venerable was a little off to one side, and Ursula came to rest next to him. The room was opulent—all pink and gold and pearls—but there was no time to admire the splendor before the Diaphanous began their musical speech.

"It was a most interesting journey," they sang together.

"What did you learn?" asked Queen Galataye. She had aged visibly over the past couple of weeks, but remained elegant and beautiful nevertheless.

"His long sleep before leaving this world was a period of preparation for a future life. He was given visions of things to come," said Ozmoses.

"I'm not sure I understand," said the queen.

"We believe he got to see the future of Atlantica during his slumber...or at least one possible version of the future," Ozmoses replied. In her peripheral vision, Ursula saw Ganeon nudge Triton with the subtlest of movements.

"And he probably saw the place where he was going—the place he is now," hummed Aether.

"And where is that?" Galataye asked anxiously.

"He's in a holding place at the moment. Very peaceful. He must forget his old life so the memory of it does not disorient him in his next life," Aether explained.

"So he will certainly live again?" The queen's voice trembled and her eyes clouded over with tears.

"Most of us live again and again," came the reply in four-part harmony.

"Oh, please," Alphon muttered.

Galataye ignored her son. "Will I ever see him again? When we he re-enter our world?" she pressed.

Aether and Ozmoses looked at each other knowingly. "This was the most surprising thing we learned. Nepp will live again, near here, as royalty...but we believe as a human."

"What?" gasped Queen Galataye. Her children shared her thunderstruck expression. Psamanthe and Halimede reached out to steady one another, so staggered were they. Ursula searched the face of the High Priest, but he only smiled mysteriously.

"Yes. He will be a human prince, born to a maiden of the sea, and he will love and protect the ocean," they sang together.

"A maiden of the sea? Do you mean... a mermaid?" asked Triton. "How could that ever be?"

"Stranger things have happened. It will make more sense in time, we were assured. Those that need to understand it will understand it, at the appropriate time." The Diaphanous looked mildly amused.

Alphon scoffed loudly.

"Were you able to communicate with Nepp directly? To ask him about his parting wishes?" inquired the queen. Her voice had an edge of desperation to it.

"No, Your Majesty. That would have been confusing for him. He's already starting to forget this life in Atlantica. His guides did say they took him rather rapidly." They turned to serenade Ursula. "So there's no reason to believe your vitality spell malfunctioned in any way. It was his time to go." Aether smiled gently at the healer.

"I'm so glad to hear that," said Ursula. "Was he lucid at the end? He seemed so to me." The significance of her question was palpable to the entire room.

"His guides say he was of very clear mind. Nepp was frustrated at having to leave, but unafraid and cooperative," explained Ozmoses in two octaves.

"That's how it appeared to me, too," said Ursula quietly.

"Is everyone in on this conspiracy?" boomed Alphon without warning. He broke away from the semi-circle. "You all accept this account without question? Why?! Based on what?" he spat. "Holding places? Human reincarnation? And of course dear Ursula is innocent," he sneered.