26. But I know something's starting right now (continued)

Siddikah? The room began to spin. Is she here in disguise again? She'll see I'm not wearing the nautilus! Why did I say I'd "wear it all the time" when not on duty? Ugh!

"Hmm." Ganeon leaned forward, narrowing his eyes. His crown was lopsided. "The guards look Pacifican."

"Who would come from Pacifica?" Ursula asked anxiously.

As the maiden turned away from Triton, Ursula inhaled sharply. She was wearing clamshells over her perfect, pale breasts. This was unseemly by Atlantican standards, where wearing anything but the tiniest shells as jewelry was considered barbaric.

Ursula clutched her pearls. An irrational, alcohol-fueled panic set in. She's here to check on me.

Suddenly, Galataye appeared at the mermaid's side. She was smiling and chatting pleasantly, looking livelier than she had in months.

Confusion replaced panic. "Your mother seems to know her," Ursula whispered.

"I'll find out who she is in a moment."

The mysterious mermaid was surveying the crowd as Galataye pointed out key individuals to her. Suddenly, she turned her fair face towards Ursula and Ganeon and her blazing green eyes locked on the prince. Her face lit up and she started to approach.

"Oh no," Ganeon groaned under his breath. She's coming over here."

"Should we...just...let's get up and leave. Now!"

"I'll catch hell for that. Look at mother."

Galataye was glaring at them from across the room, hands on hips. It contrasted sharply with the too-bright smile on the redhead that was weaving her way through the crowd. The guards stayed behind her. The nearer they drew, the more sober the friends felt.

Ursula tried to look aloof by pouring two more glasses of cordial. She felt Ganeon's hand in her hair. "What are you doing?" she hissed.

"Some of the starfish are making a break for it and everything's going a little lopsided. I'm trying to help."

"You need help!" she retorted. She straightened his crown with a quick jerk.

Ganeon was just tapping glasses with Ursula when the foreigner addressed him. "Prince Ganeon," she said warmly, extending her hand to him as if she expected a kiss there.

The prince remained seated. He took her hand and gave it a brusque shake. "Yes, how can I help you?"

Her smile widened. She was beautiful and she knew it. "I just had the pleasure of meeting the rest of your family, and wished to introduce myself. I am Athena Marielle DuPacifica."

Ganeon blinked. "I see," he said in a bored tone. "And now I have the pleasure of introducing you to Ursie—um, Ursula of Atlantica."

"Oh, no introduction needed," she gushed, turning her smile to Ursula. "You're quite famous."

Somehow, hearing this mermaid speak, Ursula knew it wasn't Siddikah. The red hair had just thrown her for a moment. It was the cordial's fault.

Ursula bowed her head ever so slightly. "How come we've never heard of you, Athena Marielle DuPacifica?"

The mermaid's smile froze; she forced a fake titter. "Oh, I just go by Marielle—"

"Of course you do," Ursula said witheringly. She rolled her eyes at Ganeon. He coughed, poorly disguising a laugh.

"Um...well, yes. I'm here tonight to offer my—"

But Marielle was interrupted by a blast of loud music. Everyone's head turned toward the source of the sound. A peculiar scene was unfolding at the main table. Sebastian, perched on the top tier of a dessert stand, was directing a quartet of musicians with his claws. He was grinning like no crab before him has grinned.

A few measures in, Halimede and Psamanthe popped up from their seats at the side of the table and began to sing a charming duet to the music. Their harmony was perfection. The lyrics listed the virtues of Atlantica's new king. The twins looked amused as they followed Sebastian's cues. Triton seemed shocked, yet delighted, watching from his throne.

The composition was met with thunderous applause. King Triton rose from the throne and swept his sisters into an embrace, then beckoned Sebastian to come forth. After a brief exchange, Triton placed the crab on his left shoulder.

"I have an announcement to make," Triton projected over the buzz in the room. "Sebastian here is not only my personal aide and primary advisor for Caribbean affairs, he is henceforth my official court composer as well!"

Cheers and applause and whistles ensued. Sebastian was swarmed by new admirers. Ursula and Ganeon smiled at each other. Their little visitor from Caribbeana had come so far.

The happy moment was interrupted by Marielle. "Wow, that was beautiful," she said, attempting to revive their conversation. "What a delightful surprise they prepared for King Triton! I didn't know he was so fond of music." She unleashed another smile on the prince.

Ganeon was unmoved. "I'm guessing there's a lot you don't know," he said dryly, lifting his glass to his mouth.

Marielle turned tail and fled. Her guards shot the prince a nasty look as they took off after her. Ursula and Ganeon snickered as they watched the redhead work the room. They kept up a biting commentary on her every move as they continued to drink.

"What did you think of those clam shells?" Ursula giggled.

"Garish."

"What did you think of what was underneath them?"

"I don't know. I was too distracted by that creepy smile." Ganeon did an impression, baring his teeth and opening his eyes extra wide; the glowing whites made him look crazy. "Does she think she can hypnotize people or something? Seriously!" he huffed.

Ursula laughed raucously. She was a picture of decadence: hair askew, pearls dancing, rear fangs glinting. Looking at her, Ganeon felt inspired to place his crown on her head.

"That is inappropriate!" she screeched. She looked pleased. "You are going to land us both in hot water!"

"Aw, no one is paying attention. Look around!" Indeed, everyone seemed immersed in their own merry bubble of feasting and revelry.

"Fine. One more drink and then I'm going up to the arches to get some glimmering algae. Let's paint your face!" She was reaching for a fresh bottle of liquor when someone else plucked it away.

"Heyyyy," she whined. She looked up in confusion; her reaction time was slow. "Ephram!" she exclaimed.

The High Priest smiled slightly as he sat down and poured himself a scant measure of spirits. He looked as calm as Ursula and Ganeon looked unruly. He raised his glass to the pair and took a small sip.

"Prince Ganeon. Ursula. No one is having half as much fun as you two."

The friends looked at each other, wondering how to respond. Compliment or admonishment?

Ephram took another tiny sip. "I daresay you've earned it. Both of you."

"Thank you, Venerable Ephram," Ursula said quietly. Ganeon openly studied the old priest with fascination. He was a cloud of neon white in the ever-darkening room.

"I thought you'd come talk to me, Ursula. After the hearing."

"Oh. Oh yes! That's right. I'm sorr—"

Ephram raised a hand to silence her. "First thing tomorrow morning, come to my private quarters in the palace."

"Not the temple?" she squeaked. "Ok, yes. I will do that. Yes." The uneasy feeling of being in trouble was returning to her. Ursula reached for the bottle Ephram had set back on the table between them.

He snatched it away again. "The new day will dawn sooner than you think. And you'll need your wits about you."