25. I don't know when, I don't know how (continued)

For the first time in recent memory, Ursula was eager to get dressed up for an event. She chose a black netted gown that hung sensuously from her body. She no longer had to conceal the fact of her missing tentacles. She draped the pearls just so. Ursula removed all her other jewelry and focused her attention on her hair. She placed row after row of ornaments there: miniscule live starfish and tiny sea urchins, lovely stones spaced along gold wire, bits of lacy coral. She arranged the coral so that it was reminiscent of a crown, but not so obvious as to draw comments. Triton would get it.

On her way to the palace, Ursula thought about her parents. They weren't coming to the coronation. "We've had enough big events for awhile," Melisande had said dryly. Ursula understood. She had apologized for keeping them in the dark and gave them a selective account of all that had happened before the hearing. Dismas asked far too many questions for her liking, but Melisande continually steered the conversation towards the question of what to prepare—and eat—next. Tonight, she wanted Aunt Mel to see that her dress clung to an actual figure once more, thanks to all her culinary attentions.

Ursula found a seat in the grand hall. She marveled at what a difference a fortnight had made not just in her body, but in her life. This was the same room in which Alphon had condemned her to death just weeks ago. Others in attendance were looking at her, admiring her beauty, and thinking similar thoughts about the famed healer.

Triton was next to his mother, facing the crowd. His siblings were clustered behind them. Everyone looked somber except for Ganeon. He appeared totally at ease, having had so many burdens released lately: mortal fear of Alphon, anxiety over steering Triton wrongly, dread of having to become king—it was all gone. He smiled widely as Galataye began to address the new king. Everyone leaned in to better hear her voice. It was so much weaker than it used to be.

"Triton, the time has come for you to rule Atlantica as your father before you did. Wisely. Justly. Let this regalia serve as a constant reminder of your duty. Present your left arm."

Triton obeyed, extending his beautifully muscled arm forward.

"You are a living link between Atlantica's past and future. You must look to our noble history for guidance as you rule our kingdom." Galataye clamped a huge gold cuff over his left forearm. It ran from his wrist almost to the elbow. A row of oval studs wrapped around the middle of the ornament. Triton lowered his arm slowly, acclimating to the new weight.

"Now your right arm."

Triton obliged.

"At the same time, you must consider our collective future in all that you do as king. Future leaders will look to you, just as you look upon your forebears." An identical gold cuff was secured over his right forearm.

"The present is yours. These are the days of your glory and power." Galataye placed a simple gold crown of five spikes upon his head. "And we will abide by your rule," she concluded, handing her son the royal trident.

Ursula jumped. She had been admiring Triton so intently that she hadn't even seen Galataye take the trident to pass along. Looking at her beloved already holding the trident like it was the most natural thing in the world, her limbs went cold and dead with fright.

How am I ever going to tell him? How long until that damn trident acts up? What will happen once others find out? Ursula cursed Siddikah for planting doubts in her mind.

Galataye bowed before her youngest son. Ursula could tell he was trying not to squirm at this odd sight. Then she lifted her face to the crowd. She paused, as if to gather all her strength.

"Presenting His Royal Highness, King Triton!" Galataye shouted.

At these words, new banners were unfurled overhead. They were all the same: a stylized 'T' above, the trident below. A great cheer resounded through the hall, and Triton smiled reservedly as he took in the joyful faces of his subjects. Ursula clapped in spite of her mounting terror.

Behind Triton, on whom all eyes were fixed, Ganeon was grinning directly at Ursula. It's official! We did it! he seemed to be saying. She forced a smile in return.

The trumpets began a processional, and the royal family filed out of the hall first. Guards trailed behind them. Conversations started to pop up all around Ursula. There was general commotion as everyone attempted to leave the hall at the same time. Atlantica was excited for the celebration that was about to begin.

Ursula contemplated going home to soothe her nerves before joining in the revelry, but Amoret intercepted her in the hallway. She wouldn't hear of it.

"Come on! You can't miss the feast!" she squealed, yanking on Ursula's arm.

"I've been feasting for two weeks straight as it is..." Ursula protested.

"I don't care. We are not missing a moment of this. Will there be another party like it in our lifetime? No!"

Ursula followed her, less than enthused, to the great dining hall. She had never been inside and was not prepared for the splendor of the place.

"Whoa," she breathed as she entered. The high soaring arches were highlighted by millions of tiny glowing plants and creatures that had been clustered thickly along them. The mingling of their blue and green emissions made the arches a brilliant aquamarine. Jellyfish that gave off soft ethereal light swirled lazily yet continuously around the room's pillars. It created the impression of spinning towers of luminescence.

The tables were loaded with delicacies and spirits, all displayed in the finest vessels Ursula had ever seen. Amoret was commenting on everything in hushed tones but her companion registered none of it. She was staring at the throne at the head of the main table. Suddenly it all seemed surreal, especially bathed in this uncommon light.

A loud male voice announced the king's entry and everyone bowed in unison. Ursula didn't dip as deeply as everyone else. She kept her gaze fixed on His Highness, peering up through her lashes to follow his every move. He saw her sticking out among the bent heads and shot her a lopsided grin. He winked. Her heart stopped. This gold and turquoise demigod—this perfect specimen of masculine beauty and power—was really and truly hers.

He was seated and everyone straightened and relaxed.

Triton made his first speech as ruler of Atlantica. "I thank you for your warm reception. Our kingdom has been through much turmoil these past months. But we have made it through, as we always have and always will. So tonight, let us celebrate. Everyone is to enjoy themselves. Consider it a royal command!"

The young king's joke was met with laughter, then applause, then the sound of a thousand merfolk descending upon the tables and launching into animated conversations. Amoret was already being pulled away by a couple of suitors. "Sorry!" she mouthed to Ursula, who shot her an exasperated look in jest.

She felt someone press a glass to her palm. "You startled me!" she gasped, admiring the crown before her. "I didn't think I'd get to talk to you here."