21. Headstrong, lovesick girl (continued)

As each day dawned, Ursula hoped to see Triton at the temple. He'd be so excited about the evidence she'd tracked down, so heartened to know there was a case against Alphon that would carry weight with the Council. Most of all, he'd be outraged to learn of the attack perpetrated by his older brother but impressed by her ability to rise above it. Many times each day, she fantasized about their sweet reunion: Triton rushing into her arms, kissing her, thanking her.

But Triton didn't come.

Day after day, she arrived extra early to ensure she didn't miss him. And day after day, he failed to appear.

Was he sick? Did he challenge Alphon to a fight, and get hurt? she wondered anxiously. Surely Ganeon would fetch her if he was ill or injured. Has he had a change of heart? Has Alphon poisoned him against her somehow? Has his mother?

The affection of her eels got her through each day. She'd arrive home after work, crestfallen and depleted, and find the nameless pair waiting at the door or peering out the window with their tails wriggling furiously. Their eyes had brightened considerably since she had brought them to live with her: the singular jaundiced orb that each one possessed had become a striking golden yellow. Sometimes they looked so intelligent she half expected them to speak to her.

The morning Ursula's anxiety turned to irritation and she decided to track her beloved down rather than wait any longer, Triton showed up at the temple. All was forgiven the moment she saw his dear face, and she rushed him into a meeting room.

"You've had me worried!" she chastised him as soon as the door clicked closed behind her. She was smiling, almost giddy.

"I've been worried too."

"About the attack?" She sighed. "Yes, it was horrible. I didn't want to share the details with Ganeon, but—"

"You appear unharmed," Triton interrupted. "I'm glad for that. When will he learn he's no match for you?" Triton half-smiled.

"I think he may have gotten the message at last."

"Good. So that's one worry I can set aside."

"Please do." She extended her arms to him and moved to embrace him.

He caught her by the wrists and held her at a slight distance. "But I'm still worried. I'm concerned I can no longer trust your judgment. You kept secrets from me and confided in Ganeon before myself. And worse than that, you involved children in our mess and endangered them! I could scarcely believe it when Ganeon told me!" He released his grip.

"What I've done is further your case and your chances a great deal, Triton. You're welcome, by the way," she said icily.

"You didn't have to bring those young cuttlemaids into it! These risks are ours to face alone. What if something had gone wrong, Ursula? And what if they start to talk to others about it?"

"I know those girls. You do not. If you can tell me a better way we could have performed reconnaissance—"

"You could have at least asked me if I wanted these things done in my name. Instead, you and Ganeon go scheming behind my—"

"Scheming?" Her face darkened. "More like strategizing. We wanted to make sure of everything before we told you. It was out of consideration for the pressure you're under, Triton, and nothing more."

"I don't need to be protected in that way. Not by you, or Ganeon, or anyone else. I can handle the pressure."

"I know you can, darling, but—"

"But nothing! If you and Ganeon think I need to be managed so carefully, why do you both insist I take on the challenges of leadership?"

"We weren't insinuating anything about your capabilities, Triton. We have only ever wished to be helpful to you."

"Oh yes. And why?" he spat. "Because Ganeon doesn't want to challenge Alphon himself, and you...well, what exactly is your motive for helping me, Ursula?"

"How dare you ask me such an insulting question."

"Answer it."

"I already have," she said through clenched teeth. "I have vowed to honor what your father asked of me on his death bed, and I've expressed my certainty that among all potential rulers from the royal family, you'd be best for the kingdom. What more do you want from me?" She crossed her arms and turned her back to him in a desperate attempt to prevent tears from escaping.

"Is that all?" he challenged.

Ursula stiffened. Triton watched with unease as she gradually unfroze and turned around to face him again. Her lovely lavender face had been transformed into a purple mask of rage.

"Is. That. ALL?!" she screamed. "No, Prince Triton! I'm obviously after the throne, just as Alphon warned you about wily females such as myself! Why else would I be RISKING MY LIFE FOR YOU?!" She doubled over, weeping. "You—you INGRATE!" she screeched through her tears. "Self-centered ingrate! I have lost parts of my body in my bid to be with you, to love you, and you don't even inquire about it!"

"What?" Triton winced. "What are you talking about?"

"Only this!" She tore at her gown until it was bunched around her waist. "Anything look different to you? Count them! Did you even notice how many I had before?"

"Ursula, of course—"

"Two!" she bellowed. "After you left the cave last time, he overpowered me when my magic was weak, and he removed two. You don't know what I've been through. I'm lucky to be alive!"

"Why didn't you come to me at once?" He extended his arms toward her in an invitation to hold her.

"I don't want your pity now," she scowled as she backed away from him. "There was nothing you could do for me at the time and I had urgent business to take care of—business in your service, Prince Triton," she sneered. She curtsied sarcastically with many elaborate flourishes of the hand.

He shook a finger at her angrily. "I had no way of knowing you were seriously injured. You didn't tell Ganeon any details, so he couldn't tell me. How can you be upset with me for being in the dark when you put me there? You showed up at the palace right after our time together looking the very picture of health. What was I to think? And what exactly am I guilty of?"

"How long ago did Ganeon tell you I was attacked?" she shot back.

"About a week ago."

"So in a week you have not cared to come for the details. You are guilty of not caring about me, for starters."

"You couldn't be more wrong. I've spent the week confused and tortured by my conscience. I never wanted you to be placed in harm's way. Surely you know this. I tried to dissuade you from this relationship for all sorts of reasons but you persisted, and I was too weak and...and selfish to keep you away. And now look where we are."

Ursula wanted to redirect the conversation immediately; she disliked the turn it had taken. "We are in a meeting room in the temple," she said lightly. "You are here so I can renew your protection spell. So let's take care of that now." The sudden switch in tone made her sound insane.

"No."

"No?" She laughed in disbelief.

"I need to think about this. I'm not sure I should accept any more help from you. Perhaps Ganeon was right all along. The separation of powers exists for a reason."

"Triton!"

"I'm serious. I sincerely apologize for questioning your motives and I beg your forgiveness for that. The fact is you have suffered from our association. If more harm comes to you, I don't think I could bear the guilt."

"Just like you, I can handle the pressure," she joked lamely. "My love, you need the protection."

"Not as badly as you do. Please, Ursula, just focus on protecting yourself for awhile."

For once, Ursula was rendered speechless. She watched the prince slip through the door, through her grasp, through the protective veil she had tried to provide for him.