Chapter Five: A.D.

Spencer stayed sitting as Wren walked into the room. 

He pulled out a chair that was under a desk, and sat down a few feet away from Spencer.

"So it's true. You're A.D.?" Spencer asked for confirmation.

"Yes, Spencer. I'm A.D. Always have been," Wren replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just listen!" Melissa said from outside the glass wall.

"What she said," Wren concurred.

"Listen to what?!" Spencer asked.

"My story. You want to know why I'm doing this, right?"

"I think that's pretty apparent."

"Then you need to listen, and listen well. Because I'm only going to say it once."

. . .

"Remember when you and the girls found out about how Jessica was connected to Bethany?" Wren asked.

"You mean besides the fact that Charlotte was there when Bethany killed Toby's mom? Yeah," Spencer replied.

"It was true. Jessica cheated on Kenneth with Mr. Young. Twice. And guess what both of them had in common?"

"A baby came from them," Spencer said as the realization dawned on her.

She hadn't expected any of this. 

Wren and Bethany were siblings, which, in turn, made Alison and Jason their half-siblings. 

"Yes," Wren confirmed.

"Why didn't Mrs. D. have any pictures of you? Why hasn't anyone ever said anything?" Spencer inquired.

"Because the only people that knew at the time were Jessica and my father. Kenneth knew Jessica was pregnant, but he thought it was his child. Then, 8 months in, she lied to him. Said she miscarried and needed time to recollect herself. So she went away by herself to my family's house and farm, and one week later, she had me. The only thing was, she couldn't keep me. She had already told Kenneth she miscarried and my father didn't want a reminder of the affair he had. And that's where it all began."

"If you were born in America and adopted here, how have you had the accent?"

"I'm getting there. For 3 years I waited in a group home. Eventually, a couple saw me, and absolutely adored me! But then the husband got a call about his job being moved to England, and off we went. When I turned 11, my adoptive parents told me the truth: I was adopted because of an affair. I wanted to meet my biological parents, and I did a couple years later. Well, one of them at least. Jessica couldn't make it. But my father did tell me that Bethany had been born about a year after me. Years later I get a call from him. Tells me that Bethany is in Rosewood, in Radley. So I pack everything, said goodbye to Mum and Dad, went to find her. I'll never forget that day. Labor Day, 2009."

Spencer was taken aback by the date.

Labor Day 2009 was not only the day Alison went on the run from Mona, but also the day Mona hit Bethany, then Melissa killed her on accident by burying her alive.

 It was all coming into place, but Spencer allowed Wren to continue.

"So I get there, and they tell me visiting hours are over, come back the next day. And I do. But they tell me she's escaped. That she's gone. But then I hear another girl went missing: Alison. I got a suspicious feeling, and started snooping around. Eventually, I found out that Alison and Bethany looked similar. Very similar. And that's when it all clicked."