14. Drive

Harry gripped the steering wheel, looking over at the criminal sat beside him with his gun pointed straight at him.

"Is that really necessary?" Harry groaned. "You're making me nervous again.. What if we hit a pot hole and you accidentally pull the trigger?"

"Well maybe that's a good thing, isn't it?"

Harry felt Louis staring daggers at him.

"We wouldn't even be here right now if you didn't tackle me like a goddamn animal." Louis said with a scowl. "Twice."

"You were gonna shoot my friends.." Harry shrugged. "I did what I had too."

Louis shook his head in disgust. "I should have just.."

He stopped himself.

"Just what?" Harry turned his head.

Louis scoffed, gripping the gun in his hand. "Just drive."

"Finish what you were going to say."

"Don't tell me what to do-"

"You should have just killed them? or me?" Harry looked forward at the road. "Then why didn't you, hmm?"

"Just shut up, if you know what's good for you."

"No!" Harry grew more frustrated as he drove. "I've tried to escape, I've tackled you.. twice. I've sassed you. I've been the worst hostage in the fucking world and you've done nothing but threaten me!"

"Stop the car!" Louis yelled. "Now!"

"Why-"

"Now!" He interrupted.

Harry gulped before pulling off to one side of the road.

He turned his body toward Louis, waiting for him to speak.

"Do you have a death wish or something?" Louis raised his gun. "Cause I can grant it!"

"Can you?"

At this point Harry found all of Louis' threats to be empty.

"Excuse me?" Louis grunted.

"You heard me!" Harry stared deep into Louis' eyes. "I don't think you have the guts to kill me."

Louis scoffed. "Are you kidding me!? I-I've killed lots of people!"

"Then why haven't you done it!" Harry dropped his hands to his lap. "Why would you force me to hang out with you for hours and then drag me out of my home and force me to drive you God knows where. I'm sick of this stupid charade! Either kill me or let me go."

"I'm warning you.." Louis gritted his teeth.

"Or what.." Harry kept his eyes locked with the blue eyed criminal. "You'll kill me?"

"Just.." Louis' lips quivered. "Stop it!"

"I don't think you will!" Harry continued. "I think you're scared to kill me! I think you're just all talk!"

"Stop it!!" Louis screamed even louder, growing more frustrated. "Now!"

"You don't have what it takes!-"

Suddenly an ear-piercing gunshot filled the car as the glass shattered next to Harry's head.

Harry quickly leaned down to his lap, holding his head in his hands.

Louis had shot the glass next to him.

"Next time, that'll be your head." Louis cocked the gun.

Harry slowly lifted his head from his lap, visibly trembling. The sound of the gunshot rang through his ears as he stared down at all the broken glass on his lap.

"Now listen!" Louis began. "You don't know me. You don't know my struggle. Like I've said from the beginning, I've got nothing to lose.. I will NOT go back to prison!"

The tone of Louis' voice was different than usual. It was raspy and almost desperate sounding.

"Now I suggest you put your hands on that fucking wheel, close your mouth and drive like a good little hostage before you make me do something we'll both regret!" Louis shoved his gun closer to him. "Got it!"

Reality set in for Harry as he timidly nodded his head.

What was he doing? Why was he antagonizing a dangerous criminal?

Did he want to die?

"Good." Louis leaned back. "Now drive."

Harry put his hands on the wheel once again, driving back onto the road.