Chapter Thirteen: Spell-Casting Hags

"Caleb..."

No way in Hell was she going to start this again. No way.

"Caleb help... me-"

I covered Rachel's mouth with my hand before she had a chance to wake up again, cutting off her breathing until she went unconscious for the eighth time. I'd been doing this for the last few hours while I waited for a report from those god-forsaken witches. They were supposed to keep me posted on the whereabouts of the five demon siblings, but I hadn't had word since I knocked Rachel out back in Gainesville. We'd now crossed over to another city, trying to get as far as possible from Caleb and his misfit family.

Rachel and I were in our own cabin on the train, which meant it was easy to keep her quite if she woke again. She mumbled Caleb's name every now and then, asking him to come save her, and I was sure he may have figured out how to communicate telepathically with her. But as long as she stayed knocked-out, it would prevent her from telling him anything too detailed. If she didn't know where we were, there would be no way for him to know, either.

Jonathan.

A grin tugged at my lips.

Marana, what a pleasant surprise, I said telepathically back to her. I tried to lace my words with as much sarcasm as possible, but I don't think she took it up as that.

Oh honey, I knew you liked me better than those other hags, she chimed back at me, completely serious.

I tried not to retch.

I'm hoping you're going to tell me some good news, I warned her, looking down at Rachel. It's been a little... hectic down these ends.

I didn't further explain to her about Rachel's behaviour, how I now had to keep her unconscious. If any of those spell-casting croons learnt of it, they'd work behind my back to rid the world of her. They knew just how important Rachel was to me, body and soul.

"Caleb... he's... hurting.."

Sighing, I looked in my bag for some of the chloroform I'd bought back in Atlantic Beach when I'd gone after my victims, and pouring a little on one of my t-shirts, covered Rachel's mouth with it until she stopped mumbling about her precious demon.

For me to complete the transition to becoming a full Reaper, the old Reaper had to die. As long as I stalled it for a few more days, my powers would recharge until they reached the prime.

Who better to kill the old Reaper, than me?

Jonathan?

I snapped out of my trance to pay attention to Marana.

You were saying? I asked her.

Marana hesitated before answering. They broke the barrier.

I choked on my breath, clearly not having heard her right.

I'm sorry, repeat that if you may? She had to have been joking.

Hesitation prevented an instant answer. They... escaped?

Without thinking, the tray of food hit the opposing wall with a smash, and the plate shattered into pieces.

How the fuck did they get out of that barrier? I fumed, not biting back my anger any longer. Leaving Rachel safe in our cabin, I stormed out into the main carriage of our train, looking for my next victim. I'd sworn Caleb would be my next target, that those other less fortunates were just practice, but I needed some release.

There was a red head sitting reading a book in a cabin a few down from ours, and without pausing, I knocked politely. She lifted her gaze from the pages to me, and smiled, clearly thinking I was stuff or something. Either way, she made the mistake of unlocking her door.